Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop: Using the Clone Stamp tool for better Brush work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Change the size of the clone stamp so that it contains only your mountain ( [ and ] ) and make sure the Hardness is set to 100% (right-click and move the Hardness slider).

Alt-click in the center of your mountain. Since you're set to sample all layers, you'll get the black and grey of your normal brush, the white underlayer, and transparency around it.

Create a new layer to hold your mountains and change its blend mode to multiply. This will allow the background to show through, but the white will still mask out the mountains beneath!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.png 
Views:	755 
Size:	646.2 KB 
ID:	17352

For best results, you'll want to make several different variations of your mountains, but since they're all stored in that palette area to the side of your document, when you want to change to a different mountain, all you need to do is to alt-click the mountain you want to use, then stamp away.

The clone stamp can also be used to take bits from one image and stamp them into another, so if you want to keep all of your isometric mountains and trees in a single document that you use for every map you make, you can just keep that image open to one side and sample from it instead, saving you the time of prepping the palette inside your working doc.

edit: Remember to work from top to bottom when using isometric stamps. This will ensure that they layer properly.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 10-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ever since you mentioned Clone stamp I've been trying to get it to work right with no success. I'm very glad that you made this tut to explain it all. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps