Thread: City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It looks pretty sweet I think! I like the general layout, the fields, the little walls, the river, roads and hilly terrain.

Some criticsm:

- Overall it's a pretty dark map.
    - The houses don't cut it for me. The roofs don't look convincing.
    - Labeling is very dark, I would go with a light color, maybe even white!
    - Things you might want to add: some dirt squares, a watermill near the river, some sandy beaches, maybe some chimneys or towers on top of the houses,
    - I would expect more houses within the walls, it's safer there.
    - Lots of houses are not connected to the roads. I would expect thinner dirt paths leading from the front door to the larger roads.

A question: why does the wall have so many holes in it?

Anyway, it's really looking pretty good already!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby, pretty good in fact.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

My advise is to start adding subtlety to the map. Try setting various layers to 75% opacity (or perhaps less in the case of the labels) and see how it appeals to you. Look at colors with an eye toward how they interact with other colors near them. I'm colorblind, so when I see color issues, they either aren't there or they are there pretty dramatically. The color of some of the larger labels puts me off for some reason.

I think it's a lovely map and with some fine tuning can become a solid piece of work.