Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grackslu WIP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Castle Bastardry...
    = best name ever.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Apprentice

Ascension: oh it's far from finished. I'll be adding more stuff than a compass and a scale. Still thinking about a good name for it (because Grackslu is a continent, and this one is only a minute part of it) and there's more. And with the names... well, if you look really good you'll find more of villages like smallfontville (that was the test one for verdana)

su liam: thanks man. Without that i'd have "Fort 1" "Fort 2" "Fort 3", I've forgotten about the other "words"

Guild Adept

Wow. What a great map! Keep trucking because I would like to see this map in the Finished Map section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good, even the really small fonts could be read.

It appears to me that your 'icons' for your cities, etc. are a bit pixelated. You may want to check that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

It'll be hard to change the symbols, because they are that small... I tried making them bigger, but then they appeared oversized. So I have no Idea how I could change that

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritless View Post
    Got it. Not using that font. Here's how it looks, after naming all the cities and towns and all, every forest, some mountains and so on.
    One question: how should I name forts? Like fort something or? Because I really have no idea. And there is a reason for such chaotic naming (that land is over 3500 years old, some names survived for more than a few hundred years, some for less than a hundred, some for all that time).
    For me, this is the crucial map-creation time, soo... Any thoughts? Tips? Anything?
    Just get the name of your location, badly pronounce it and add "Fort, Keep, Castle" to the end. If you can't think of something else, start putting a famous person's name to it.

For Example...

There is a keep on the Trout River. You could get: Truffort, Trafford, Fort Troutiver, Castle Midlands on Trout...

Shark Bay
    Sharkfort, Sharktooth, Finn Castle, Sharrfort...

Winchester's traditional Castle
    Winchcastle, Winchfort, Winchefort, Winfort, Castle Winchfort, Winfort by Sea....

It's a fairly "english" sounding result, but I'm sure you can do similar things in German, Dutch, French and Spanish to get different sounds...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'd like to second what Juggernaut just said ... I used this method with a mix of English and French words to name most of the stuff in my latest map.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Done with the naming, thanks guys for the tips.
    Now, I'll have to find a way to create that box around it I've dreamed about. And it's going to be difficult... It's going to be a somewhat wooden frame with more space on the left of the map for the compass and some notes, along with the name and some other stuff. Gotta figure it out.
    Here's the (hopefully) final version of the map itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gracksluwip2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	18269

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looks pretty good. Although it's kind of a strange mix of decent sounding fantasy world names and a few tongue-in-cheek names.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

what do you mean by tongue in cheek?

and by the way, the plan was to create the whole scene in 3d (you know, map on a table, compass by the map and stuff) and while modeling all of the additional stuff was not really a problem, I don't think my machine could pull of a 6000x4500 resolution render with a lot of additional lights, gloss and everything (well, maybe if I put it out the window it could, but I won't risk an overnight freezing). So, most probably, you'll be seeing the photoshop version in the finished section somewhere today/tomorrow.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast