Thread: World of Goria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I know Fir Bolgs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Fir bolg? Anwyn? Is this a game based off of the books by Haydon?
    Not sure on Anywn, at the top of my head, but of Celtic Lore, I know Fir Bolgs. Not to mention that Fir Bolgs was a class of giant in D&D 1e - 3e, probably 4e as well.

Fir Bolgs were the human inhabitants of Ireland, when the Tuatha de Danaan arrived. (The Tuatha de Danaan eventually became the gods of Celtic lore.) The Tuatha de Danaan worked with some of the Fir Bolgs in a positive relationship at the start. Eventually Crom, the one-eyed King of the Fir Bolgs, broke the agreement and warred onto the Tuatha de Danaan. The Fir Bolgs were eventually defeated. After which a disease wiped out most of the Tuatha de Danaan. The Celts apparently landed on Ireland just after this.

In fact, one of the Celtic gods, the teacher of the Tuatha de Danaan, was Lugh the Long-handed who was a Fir Bolg and not Celt.

So Fir Bolgs are a very old Celtic tradition, at least several thousand years old. (Feer Vulag is the Celtic pronunciation.)

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-08-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Not sure on Anywn, at the top of my head, but of Celtic Lore, I know Fir Bolgs. . .

GP
    Annwn (and variant spellings) is from Welsh mythology. Annwn was the underworld associated with the dead as well as with riches and magic. It was sometimes conceived of as beneath the sea or on an island.

- G