Thread: Gemini Ascendant Star System Map [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    Just curious as to why you would need a star in that position. I actually designed the map from the basis of NOT having one there. Is there some rule of star mapping I'm violating?

Thanks for the feedback.
    With out a reference point all navigation is impossible. The more local that reference point is the faster one can find where one is.

On earth its the magnetic poles. In space it would be three specific pulsars.

Once you have the First pulsar's signal located (your reference star) you can then search for the secondary pulsar's signal. Once you have the second, finding the third is a mater of following a ring until you hit it. And once you have all three of them you can triangulate your position based off those three points by figuring out how far each is from you.

I'm X billion AU from Point A, X billion AU from point B, and X billion AU from point C, so i must be at XYZ.

For a map, specifically a 3-D space map you need a center point. The easiest point to center on is reference point A. Even if this is a flat map with the third axis noted by each star (-/+Z), or even on the back of the map in a table. Its easiest for the Navigator to plot a course if he has an easy point of correlation between the map and the universe he sees through his instruments.
    Last edited by someguy; 10-29-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clean up.