Thread: Gemini Ascendant Star System Map [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Generally, when it comes to science fiction you want to limit yourself to just one thing that the reader needs to suspend disbelief over. Having three different ways to travel FTL is generally two too many. Of course it's your setting so there's no reason you can't have them, but it's just something to think about.

As for the map itself the font for the star names are a little hard to read, particularly since for the most part the names are made up, it hampers sight recognition of the words. The reader must sound out the names and that's hard to do since the font blends the letters together a little too much. It's not a major problem, it just means that it takes longer to read them, but increasing the separation between the letters might help. Otherwise the map looks just fine.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Guild Adept

As to the three different FTL methods, the setting has been used to role-play in for 3+ years and these have all been established. Luckily, the target audience is rather small, being anywhere from the 5 core players to as many as 7 total players. For purposes of a public map, you could easily just pick one method and call it good.

As to the font, yeah, I agree with you. It was the only font I had at the time that was close to being appropriate. I have been wanting to redo those, but dreading doing it at the same time. I suppose it should be done before I call it a day. Thanks for the tip.

Guild Adept

Update:

-Changed the font on all the labels. They are now a bunch easier to read.
    -Changed the names on many of the systems to be less obscure and remove Greek influence.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your trade routes could be a tad brighter or lighter, I lose them frequently, especially the blue ones.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Your trade routes could be a tad brighter or lighter, I lose them frequently, especially the blue ones.
    That's another thing I have been considering. I think I might try a smaller size brush but at a brighter setting. I will go ahead and increase the opacity. Right now it is at 20%. Maybe bring it up to 30% and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by nolgroth; 10-09-2009 at 01:17 AM.