Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: October 2009 Entry - Siete Torres

This looks good Immolate! The logos are a nice touch.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like both the new vineyards and the new trees.

Also, I never mentioned it but one of my favorite parts of this entire map are the little buckets of color outside the dyer. Those tiny little details are what makes this one really special.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When you get all of your roofs done here's what I do to add a tad of variety...a layer of clouds yay. Make copies of all of your roof layers (not shadow layers) and merge them together, put the layer above any other roof layer, ctrl+click the layer in the layer stack, hide the layer, make a new layer, do some clouds in your fave colors (that can vary widely depending on what you want and the blend mode you want to use), then deselect. Delete the layer of copied roofs if you want. On a new layer you can start to fiddle with things like burn holes, broken bits, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You know I love this map Immolate. The trees you have added look great!

However, I now have a point of criticism. The layout of the buildings you have recently added within the western walled district looks a bit messy and does not convince me at all. There's too many alleys and space between buildings. Buildings also seem to have been thrown down, while in my experience there's a lot of structure to walled cities. I think a lot of those buildings should be sharing walls and be aligned to the roads.

Looking at your map again I would also expect some of the industry to be located inside the city walls (the blacksmiths for example, but certainly the silversmith, it works with precious metals).
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-19-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Agreed on the aspect of them normally being more crowded and less space between the buildings. That was something of a compromise I made to accommodate the signs. There are probably other, better ways of handling that. As far as the lack of orderly structure, I took some inspiration from a gorgeous model of a city called Lahore in Pakistan. It has kind of a beehive appeal to it with the layout dictated by geography and happenstance, although it is as you suggest much more compact. (I would love to have a hundred of these models in a huge size )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lahore.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	17874

Beautiful model...
    To my eye there's still a lot of structure. The houses form blocks penned in by roads and the buildings are mostly aligned to them.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Again with the forest, although this time I'm not sure that I didn't go too far. This is a four-tier forest instead of two. I didn't have a lot of time to work tonight as I was busy packing for a trip tomorrow. Honestly I'm not sure how much time I'll have while I'm away but I'll be back by Thursday. I'm counting on the weekend to finish.

Thanks and, as always, your suggestions are invaluable to me.

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	17878

Guild Novice

I'm loving this map! The detail is amazing.

Hey just somthing I noticed while droo... Admiring your map. The wall that surounds the NW portion of the city runs over the towers at the roughly 12 o-clock and 9 oclock possitions.

Great map, wishes I had just half your talent

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast