Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: October 2009 Entry - Siete Torres

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those streamers kick much booty. Don't even attempt to do shadows for 'em The pupil has surpassed the teacher, I'm very proud. You're even out-detailing me. Well done my friend.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This keeps getting better and better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

This map is just totally awesome and keeps on getting better and better.

If I have one criticism/observation it's that some of the roofs, particularly those to the southwest of the nunnery have quite pronounced shadowing even when they are almost exactly in line with your light source. I don't think one side of the roof would be so darkly shadowed on those particular ones.

Keep up the good work. Great stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Good catch Ramah. You'll notice that most of the other sections of town are more subtly shaded. That's because I began using a better methodology around Irontown, which was to fix the pattern, then rotate the building to it's final angle before fixing and trimming the hips. That's more difficult because trimming hips on buildings at odd angles is tricky, but yields better results. As you can imagine, I'm at a point where fixing everything wrong with the map is no longer possible if I wish to complete it.

Guild Journeyer

This is a great map I love the icons you used for the shops.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the praise and the rep Xyll. This map has stayed fun throughout although I admit I'm in panic mode right now.

I have added administrative buildings in two styles: one is the standard barrack style and the other is modeled after the seven-sided tower tops. If you look closely, all of the round roofs in the inner city are seven-sided in keeping with the name of the city itself.

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siete Torres.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	18006

{smacks forehead}Wow. My grasp of romance languages is getting weak. Seven towers indeed. Never occurred to me that it was anything more than word-sounds...I've been so wrapped up in Chinese lately. To anyone less oblivious than myself I suppose the name is quite fitting!

This really is a great map. Really appreciate the level of detail you've put into it...especially as regards the shadows. We need a new badge: the shadow police. You can be the first member. Get patrolling!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I never caught the '7 Tower' reference either.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

West bank is done barring errors and I'm happy with how it turned out. Added some farm houses and tobacco fields, gardens, orchards and turnip fields. It takes a lot of food to feed a town the size of Siete Torres, but the farms shown are only a small part of what's out there. There are fields for miles around.

Oh, and I added shadows to the administrative buildings in the inner city.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	55 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	18019

Blog Entries

East bank is complete. Although I always welcome criticism, I would especially like some impressions on the field and garden styles since they were something I just kind of stumbled into. The wheat fields in the northwest corner are pretty non-standard too.

Since I've made good progress, I think I'll go smoke a big cigar and then watch my daughter whoop much softball behind in a couple of hours and let my thoughts about the residential area of Siete Torres inside the walls germinate.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	58 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	18021

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast