Thread: First Map - Taerinar

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post One more thing...

One more thing that strikes me as odd. The village is laid out square with the maps edge, but not with the water. If you made the bottom part of the squarish part of town to be parallel with the water it would look better. Since the water is obviously important for the village, the village should more closely lay along its shore. So the village should be rotated slightly, perhaps 45 degrees to line up with the water.

Hmmm, didn't notice that before.

Also the roads are very "rectangular". I would opt for more curvy, rounded roads instead of straight ones with 90 degree corners - small critique. It depends on when this city exists, in our modern times towns are laid out in grids of straight roads. In old European cities, this is not the case, the roads should follow the terrain, and the buildings should be constructed after roads are placed.

All around decent map, though, just a few details that experience, research and looking at other maps should clue you in for improvement.

GP

PS: I sketched lots of map at age 14 myself, practice makes perfect so keep on knocking out new maps, you'll get better. Have some REP for a decent 14 year old's map!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-13-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations