Thread: A scorched world

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: Rivers in Arid Climates
    Yes rivers exist.
    No they are not those nice wide wet things you see in Europe (hence why explorers in Australia DIED... OFTEN).

Sandy rivers is your solution. They will run along normal river-paths, be filled with something like sand, tend to be surrounded by the only decent trees and periodically have little oasis-like pond/lakes. People from an arid climate will know where those run, how to identify them and know the solution is to basically dig down 5ft to find the water.

So is your map:
    a) A satellite image or
    b) A drawn map, to be held in the hand or stuck on the wall?

If it's a) then put in lines of half-dead green stuff where the rivers go.
    If it's b) then mark them in, people will know where they are and as usual political boundaries will be influenced by them.

RE: Politics & Markers

Is it a Sat-Map or a Drawn/Made Map? I'll easily help you with "Made Map", ask the near-omniscient RobA or others about the Sat-Map style.

Nations are marked either by colours or icons. Old English maps mark the shires often with the Heraldic Marker. Tribes would have their own markers, just like Religions, Kings, Countries, Lawyers, Masons, etc, etc, etc.

Heraldry was used because it is simple, efficient, distinctive and can easily be recorded. The House of Lancaster uses a Rose, therefore people with a Lancaster Rose in their Heraldry will be Lancastrians... *ding*. "Hey that guy isn't a Royal, he can't use the Three Lions of Richard!" *nobles get ready to kill idiot*

I'd gun for Heraldry...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say great start. Don't worry about the ocean, it looks perfect. Gp is assuming that the light is in the top left corner and not the bottom right. I'll second Juggy about the forests/scrubbyland around the rivers. Nice job so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps