Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Umthaeul

Other than your "apparent free-standing lakes" the River Police will probably not arrest you...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I love your mountains! How'd you make them?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think what it is for me is that the forests look too digital compared to the rest of the map. You're definitely on the right track with the mountains (I may have to borrow that, slightly blurred tip? I've been working so hard on perfecting the finley engraved line style, i forget how nice this kind can look!). If you can find some way to draw out the forests quickly with the same tools you're using for the mountains, not only will it look consistent, I'll just have to steal it for inspiration

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

I wish I could claim credit, but the technique Ive used for the mountains was based off a small tutorial from jfrazierjr on making isometric mountains in this type of style. And yes, Ive erased the forests layer entirely and still have a bit of tweaking on my lakes and rivers to do. Heres a post of the mountains again, they are almost done, but you can see the stages of the technique somewhat if you look far in the top center of the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul5c.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	17767  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Isadore View Post
    I wish I could claim credit, but the technique Ive used for the mountains was based off a small tutorial from jfrazierjr on making isometric mountains in this type of style. And yes, Ive erased the forests layer entirely and still have a bit of tweaking on my lakes and rivers to do. Heres a post of the mountains again, they are almost done, but you can see the stages of the technique somewhat if you look far in the top center of the map.
    Yeah, jfrazierjr's iso mountain technique is pretty great, but you're doing a great job of making it your own!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Novice

Thanks all for the compliments and advice! I didnt mention that in my previous post so I just wanted to say I appreciate it. Ive completed the mountains and now...the forests! Argh! I think Im going to scan a few of my hand drawn trees and make them into brushes..Ill try drawing them with gimp first, so I should have something for preview here shortly. I also changed some of the river/lakes and hopefully now I have them accurately portrayed. Thanks again!

Guild Novice

OK! Here is another post on the map progression so far. Ive moved the rivers/lakes a bit and hopefully made them more true to nature. This is an example of one of the various attempts at the forests. I am still undecided about putting tree bases in, but in any event, I am not pleased with the results and will be scrapping the forest layers to begin anew! I made only one brush from scratch and varied the sizes of it while painting in the forests. Im going to make several more that are different and try again. I like the softness of some of the forest, it matches with the map/mountains, but I am still unsatisfied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul5d.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	17888  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Those forests don't look bad at all, especially if you added slight trunks along the edges and a bit of shadowing.

Also (and I have to keep reminding myself of this as well) don't forget that the perfect is often the archenemy of the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Isadore View Post
    OK! Here is another post on the map progression so far. Ive moved the rivers/lakes a bit and hopefully made them more true to nature. This is an example of one of the various attempts at the forests. I am still undecided about putting tree bases in, but in any event, I am not pleased with the results and will be scrapping the forest layers to begin anew! I made only one brush from scratch and varied the sizes of it while painting in the forests. Im going to make several more that are different and try again. I like the softness of some of the forest, it matches with the map/mountains, but I am still unsatisfied.
    In an effort to save you from future interrogation by the River Police...

Your North-Central lake should drain into your "central big river" but otherwise... BIG YAY on having a good lake/river system!
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Those forests don't look bad at all, especially if you added slight trunks along the edges and a bit of shadowing.

Also (and I have to keep reminding myself of this as well) don't forget that the perfect is often the archenemy of the good.
    My advice would be to have the "lightest" part of the forest brush be nearly transparent like the mountains and also "grainey". Your mountains look great because they are very "brushey" and "internally textured" but the forests look a bit like you got a little circle, gradiented it and then copy-pasted it everywhere. I think it just needs some of that "mountain lovin" and "brushey-ness".

My Lulu Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast