Thread: Kingdom of Umthaeul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good so far except for that unfinished river. The only pointers I have are to look at lots of maps in this style to see how they doodle up little town icons (like a castle in profile or 2-3 huts) and for forests and mountains you can browse through the Elements section for ideas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Ugh! Have I finally been caught by the river police? Let me guess...rivers never end in lakes? What unfinished river were you meaning?

Guild Novice

Here is the map with the mountain and hills outline drawn in. Im betting it would look better with the use of a tablet, but Ive yet to purchase one. Im already thinking of redoing the forests, which is why Ive skipped ahead to the mountains and hills. After I shade them in, Ill be able to decide whether to redo the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul5a.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	17651  

I do believe that Ascension is referring to the lake/river towards the right hand side of the map.

If the lake serves as the beginning of the river, then the branching near the upper right would be "in violation of River Ordinance something or another." If, on the other hand, the river(s) are feeding into the lake, there is no clear violation, though one might expect some sort of discharge. Technically speaking that discharge could come from evaporation or some underground path which, if that is the case, I would imagine you might explain at some other point in the map making process.

Beyond that, I like the feel of things so far and look forward to seeing more.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges