Thread: Project Revamping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, it seems I've hit a bit of a snag with this project as far as map development goes. Waldonrate was kind enough to help me with an earlier glitch in FTPro, but in so doing, it seems another glitch has come up. I've passed that information on to him and will have to wait to see what he comes up with as far as an answer goes before I can get back to work on the map. In the meantime, I'll be digging a bit deeper into the history of the world with a primary focus on the northern hemisphere, still. For a bit of additional flavor, I'm reconstructing the old Norse language (based on a English to Old Norse dictionary that I downloaded some time back) to be used as a "lost language" from the Old World.

One of the things I did come across as part of the ongoing process of correlating more recent history is an area of the New World that seems to be frequented by epidemics on a fairly regular basis. I was thinking that this might be linked to a rain forest or swamp like environment. Of course, a rain forest is just a tad unlikely in a more northerly climate, so I'll likely go with something a bit more swamp like. The question, however, is why anyone would settle in that sort of environment and, after so many epidemics, remain in that sort of environment. One possibility I'm considering is the existence of native plant and/or animal life that is of some particular value. I am, however, more than open to suggestions on this as it seems to be a bit of a curve ball that I'd really like to get the bat on, metaphorically speaking.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    One of the things I did come across as part of the ongoing process of correlating more recent history is an area of the New World that seems to be frequented by epidemics on a fairly regular basis. I was thinking that this might be linked to a rain forest or swamp like environment. Of course, a rain forest is just a tad unlikely in a more northerly climate, so I'll likely go with something a bit more swamp like. The question, however, is why anyone would settle in that sort of environment and, after so many epidemics, remain in that sort of environment. One possibility I'm considering is the existence of native plant and/or animal life that is of some particular value. I am, however, more than open to suggestions on this as it seems to be a bit of a curve ball that I'd really like to get the bat on, metaphorically speaking.
    Since this is a fantasy world, what about an ancient curse? It could be something that will just follow people if they decide to move, which makes moving rather pointless.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.