Thread: Terrainmonkey's Map-A-Day thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map

you asked for it, you got it. glad it meets your approval.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saddleman's gulch 2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	747  

Thank you! Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to put the various buildings. In a typical cow town, there was a corral near the railroad station for the cattle to relax in after their long trip, and the saloon, brothel, and other 'dens of ill repute' were always positioned facing the railroad tracks and near them so that the incoming cowboys would see them first. The jail was usually very close to these buildings. The general store and other businesses tended to be a bit away from the "front street" as the town folks would eventually fence off the 'dens of iniquity' and the legitimate stores wouldn't want to get caught up in them.

Interesting thing about this town is that it is near a mine also. There weren't very many towns that were both mining towns and cow towns so this could make for some interesting scenarios.

Thanks!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

there are a few thought processes that went into the design of this town. i'm thinking it is a boom town that has a mine nearby that was discovered by a woman named Kate Saddlman, or Lucky Kate. The main road was a stage coach road that went past the bluffs to the north. one day, kate went walking after a gruelling day on a coach and tripped over a couple of rocks fell into a cavern, and wound up finding one of the largest viens of (Insert Precious Metal or Substance here) in new mexico. The stage men helped her back out of the cave, and she staked the claim right then.

the town grew up around the main street first, and all the basic amenities are fulfilled. after about 6 years, the rail road was added, so that is a new addition to the area. more and more speculaters and miners are flooding the area, making the site ripe for any kind of adventure one needs.

i hope this explains a little bit about what went into my thoughts about this.

Sure does. Thanks for the back story.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

so i got to working on a saloon, but it wasn't the one i originally thought of. this one is named the Gingernut Saloon. the proprietors are Kelly and Colleen O'Donahue. Colleen is a vibrant beautiful redhead, 10 years younger than her husband, and Gingernut is "redhead" in irish. they have two sons, colin and finn, teenagers who help operate the saloon and clean up after the last customers have gone. it stays opne until midnight, and there's a huge grandfather clock against the back wall of the bar. When this chimes, everyone has to leave. anyone attempting to stay behind is given the boot by Kelly himself. he's a rough and ready strong guy, fast with a pistol, a former soldier in the british army, strong convictions, and protective of his place. he's got a sawed off shotgun behind the bar, visible just in case anyone wants to cause trouble, and a shileliegh that he uses quite often, thus coining the term used by patrons, "don't get kelly shileliegh mad." mostly now all he has to do is reach for it and the offending person runs from the bar.

There are to be no ladies of the night or scandalous behavior here. this is a nice place for those citizens who appreciate the better things in life. kelly has some of the best liquor, imported german and english beer, fine wines, and cigars money can buy on the frontier. one will also find a greater percentage of foreigners here than in other bars. this has also coined the term, "Ferner's Club" by less upright members of the town.

the trail to the outhouse is marked by boundaries of a white picket fence, overgrown a bit with vines. this is to keep the drunks from losing thier way to the outhouse and goin somewhere else, like next to the building, fer instance.

1 square on the map equals 4 feet.

since this is still a work in progress, i'm going to go over it later on with brushes and see how it looks. i'll post something else a little later on, perhaps after work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gingernut.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	759  

Whats the point of drinkin' in public if ya can't engage in scandal while you do it? RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Not a bad floor plan, but unfortunately it is historically inaccurate for the old west and I won't be able to use it for my game, but perhaps others can.

Just a quick chime-in to say Terrainmonkey rocks! I always look forward to this thread's newest tag-on; it's becoming a consistent smile for me! Keep it up you wicked, mad monkey, you!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Not a bad floor plan, but unfortunately it is historically inaccurate for the old west and I won't be able to use it for my game, but perhaps others can.
    since i don't normally do a lot of western style maps, i would like to ask how this is so with the most current one. just to get better, you see. is the description wrong, or is it the layout or floor plan? i'm just curious, as i would like to make things as accurate as possible. i've been researching floorplans in a few books and on the internet and i would like to understand how i may have messed up. please, enlighten me.