Thanks for the compliments on the software! Although many of the maps here are more artistic...

Anyway, thank you all for the feedback on my concern. (If anyone else is interested and has an opinion or some IANAL advice, please post.) I'm leaning towards revising the symbols I'm using. I have an idea that I think people who like the Mystara maps will like. It will allow the symbols to be differ moreso and will innovate the symbols in an interesting way. (Necessity is the mother of invention, right?)

But I'm also not sure TSR/Wizards would consider this is infringing or worth their time. (I think Wizards/Hasbro legal has other battles to fight... everything from knock-off -opoly games to uploaded game books on websites/torrents to someone creating synonyms for their 4th edition game's "powers"...) Still, better safe than sorry.

I've got one request posted elsewhere looking for artistic (paid) help on these symbols--I'm sure there are others who are better artists than I am. And I'm sure someone else may have other ideas for a style of icons people who like these old school maps will like while not being so close to the originals. I think I'll post a similar request here in the appropriate forum shortly.