Thread: August Entry: Compass Rose

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Figures

Thanks Koor. This is the standing figure. Jeez, took me 6 hours to do, but I was learning lots of software stuff, so hopefully the next one will be better / faster.

I'm not going to describe this long and painful process, but basically it involved tracing around the reference picture using Serif and colouring it. It looks pretty awful, I know, but hopefully the next one will be a bit better. It'll be scaled down a lot in the full picture which will hopefully hide a multitude of sins!

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stander final.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	654  

Here is the latest work in progress. I'm glad I did this challenge, I'm learning so much more about the software and how to draw, the second figure took only about 3 hours to draw...although granted there's a long way yet to go before I give Da Vinci any competition! Now all I have to do is finish the banner and er...do the compass rose.

The 'thing' at the bottom is meant to be a chest, but it's not looking like one. I will change it to something else...maybe a dragon, curled up around the standard...it's fantasy, gotta have a dragon, although it may overtax my feeble drawing skills beyond their limits.

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	work in progress.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	850.1 KB 
ID:	662  

Ravs--Much like Koor, I loved seeing the in-between shots, mainly because (also like Koor) I never thought of doing it that way. (PS: I love the shot of you in the bathrobe! Hahahaha, what a great idea!)

I would not do the dragon; IMHO, this would be too "busy", and the image already has enough interest with the two figures.

Nice going!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks Don. I'm not happy with the colours, but those can easily be changed. I think I'll put it to one side for a bit, work on something else and come back fresh to it.

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    basically it involved tracing around the reference picture using Serif and colouring it.
    Quick question...does Serif support bitmap tracing? (or "vectorization")?

-Rob A>

It has an 'autotrace' function, like illustrator, but it can be more trouble than it's worth. To be honest, after getting poor results from it when I tried it out on earlier stuff I didn't even consider it for these drawings. Then again, with my horrendous drawing skills, perhaps I should have! lol!

Ravs