Quote Originally Posted by patis View Post
Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. Right now I am involved in a team that creates GIS for public transportation systems in a major city.
Poor you...or do you still enjoy that? Did you study Geomatics, Geoinformatics like me, or something related?
During my study of it I have discovered that full satisfaction and self-fulfilment comes with the creation of aestetical graphical end products ONLY. Period. There's nothing that really compensates for that. Except maybe creating a symphony, but that's totally different story :-D But that's just me. I'm really trying to avoid ending up being just a producer or maintainer of abstract data or abstract systems. What I need is graphical production. But with a link to something useful at the same time, so design choices can be made rationally (some clearly outlined basic principles of how the work is to be done, not requiring the hyper-creativity of a pure artist), and also so I can see useful visually obtained knowledge of this world aquired by myself and other people through my products (as opposed to just having created some beautiful picture with no reference to anything important to us in reality). I think cartography is a very good compromize between doing something useful and creative/artistic at the same time, if you are doing custom cartography.
[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by patis View Post
But I want to make maps. I totally understand Marvin, and I want to do the same thing as he describes in his posts.

I hope we can find a job (or maybe build our own company?) that will allow us to do the maps we want to do. Please give me a heads up if anything comes up?

Thank you so much.
Thanks, that's the two of us then. We need to build up a team some day ;-)