Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favourite map

I think that's true for many of us, jaerdaph. My earliest wow moment with maps was looking at My dad's reader's digest (I think it was) Atlas of the world which had relief maps of land and ocean (very much like Fractal Terrains produces on call) but in the 1970s it was mind blowing. It was a huge Atlas (to a seven year old) and had a cross section of the sea with pictures of fish from the surface to the spooky deep ocean ones (I loved looking at those) like the Angler fish.

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I think that's true for many of us, jaerdaph. My earliest wow moment with maps was looking at My dad's reader's digest (I think it was) Atlas of the world which had relief maps of land and ocean (very much like Fractal Terrains produces on call) but in the 1970s it was mind blowing. It was a huge Atlas (to a seven year old) and had a cross section of the sea with pictures of fish from the surface to the spooky deep ocean ones (I loved looking at those) like the Angler fish.
    I always loved that sense of wonder and mystery you get every time you pour over a new map, be it of a real place or imagined. I also love historical maps, especially those of urban areas, and try to image what life was like back then - what would people have seen that I can still see today, and what did they see that is no longer standing. I love collecting digital and printed maps of my home, New York City, and seeing the changes over time, and then trying to research how and why these changes came about.

But considering what brings us all to this forum, I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Map

Here are a couple of images of a replica map I enjoy, original by John Speed in 1610. Forgive the quality of the photos--I was shooting through glass and in a bit of a hurry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3613.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1,016.5 KB 
ID:	781  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Praise I can see why that would be one of your favorite maps

The historical figures bordering the map are an excellent idea to incorporate into a fantasy map. What better way to introduce ruling figures of a region to lowly PCs. The hand drawn terrain flows so seamlessly it really is amazing to examine.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12