Thread: Intruder Alert! - WIP encounter map...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Here's one with some better textures. Started working on objects but nothing is showing on this map...because they still pretty much blow.

I did, however, also do a little playing around with lighting. I'm totally new to this sort of stuff and haven't seen any detailed tutorials so I'm just experimenting.

I have a folder with three layers. One is filled with dark blue and set to the Color blend mode - in the hopes of giving a nighttime feel. The other two are black-filled with light gradients on them. One is set to Darken, which shadows anything without lighted pixels. The other, experimental and optional, was my attempt to get the light halos themselves in there. I set it to Lighten. The result is over the top...but kind of cool as it looks like lights in the fog (appropriate for a dock scene I think). It blows out any underlying detail though, so probably are only useful for the occasional special effect. I'll probably still do something like it in the final (for outdoor lights at least) but it'll be dialed back considerably I think. So, experts, any lighting tips? I'm a complete n00b here.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1---plain.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	18029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1---dark.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	18030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1---fog-light.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	18031