Thread: WIP - A fantasy world for a story

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - A fantasy world for a story

After a recent computer failure that put me out of action, but fortunately spared my saved data I'm back to a fantasy map I've been working on from time to time (I'm a slow worker).

The setting is a fantsy world with a few various races, but little to no magic. The world has been heavily industrialized in the past few decades thanks to the discovery of a miracle mineral, and society is only slowly catching up despite having erected colonies on a neighbouring (habitable/partially inhabited) planet in the solar system (think of it as dark art deco steampunkish with fantasy and Lovecraftian elements).

The continents come from Fractal terrains (though I rearranged their position a bit to fit my liking).

The map style is Mercator in the Campaign Cartographer (my favorite for its easy of use and clarity of maps it creates).

I know the sea background and filler are tiling. It's still a work in progress - mostly aimed at conveying information. The style may seem anachronistic for, say, a largely mid-18th century setting (which the story would be despite the new industrial rush), but I wanted to create an age of discovery kind of feel.

After the lands of this world have been planned out I consider adding shipping lanes, railways and flight route of commercial dirigibles.

Any constructive comments are, of course, welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	587.9 KB 
ID:	18064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldHumans.JPG 
Views:	525 
Size:	1,023.4 KB 
ID:	18065