Thread: First Time Poster - Testing Pasis's Terrain Style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

THAT"S IT!! That's exactly what I was trying to discribe, thanks Ascension. Now to see if I can pull that off. Any chance of a more detailed post on the changes you made?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just roughed things in really to give an impression.

1. First I filled a layer with 50% gray then set it to overlay.

2. Then I used the burn tool, 45 pixel soft round tip at 20% strength to darken up the areas where shadows would be cast. Then I used the dodge tool, with same settings, to lighten the areas where the sun hits the slopes.

3. On a new layer set to soft light, I repeat the above process but with the paintbrush using white and black. Overusing dodge and burn looks bad so that's why I switch over to painting.

4. On a new layer I use the 9 pixel soft round tip paintbrush at 100% and draw some lines that will act as ridgelines. I then grab the smudge tool and smudge out the ends to give them some taper. Set the layer's fill to zero and apply a bevel and emboss of emboss with a size of 40, set the highlight to soft light, and give the bevel a contour that looks like the right side of the letter U. Note that this is not the gloss contour, it is the bevel contour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	18153  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Patterns

Well I spent what liitle time I had on the weekend locating & creating some patterns for my future attempts at Pasis's tutorial so I figured I'd share. Most of these are from sources advertised on this site and just tweaked a bit. I have seperated them in to two groups. One for continental maps and one for regional maps.

EDITED: Reuploaded the attachments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bitbyter; 11-08-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Post Land Ho!

Well I have raise the land from the sea and I'm pretty happy so far with the results. I think I may have gone overboard a bit with the islands but I like the end result. I'm also going to play a bit more with the ocean adjustments as it doesn't quite feel right yet.

I wanted plenty of islands to facilitate seafaring cultures (swashbuckling / pirate adventures possibily). I wanted distance, but many places to travel to while making cross continental travel to be considered impossible due to the hostility of the deep oceans.

Questions:
    Can anyone tell me how to remove or prevent the glow from the edges of the map? I like the glow how it is on the land masses but I don't think it should affect the map edges the way it is.

Next Time:
    Ground contours, hills and mountains. Oh, and an inland sea / massive lake I forgot to add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign Continent.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	18466