Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guildenstern - A Port City

There are two options...
    #1 Make the invaders turn a corner (thereby slowing down things like battering rams)
    #2 Put the invaders in a small enclosed area where you can hit them with things... like hot oil, large stones, arrows, sheep, cows, etc
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

The map looks beautiful so far! I especially like the gates, the wall and the cathedral. The only thing that I'd change is that the yellow houses all have the same size. It doesn't look like a city that has grown over the ages, but more like a satellite town.

I've added the castle. As for the houses being the same size, yeah I'll have to work on that. Randomness is not easy.

Maybe Guildenstern has strict building codes? Probably enforced by stern guilds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I like big buttresses and I cannot lie.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Those look like flying buttresses, but these are usually attached to a column.
    I with you up to here...
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    They don't normally appear around curved walls (which can take the weight), but straight ones - to hold up the roof I think. They do look a little on the long side to me - but I'm no expert
    I think you will find buttresses (inc the flying ones) on all exterior curves as well as the straights.

Heres Notre Dame in Paris...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...02411&t=h&z=19

which also serves to show how big they might look as well.

Heres another Notre Dame but this time in Amiens...

Bourges

Cologne (Koln)
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...04823&t=h&z=18

Flying buttresses were used to prevent them needing buttresses on the inside so that the open space inside is much bigger with no pillars etc. They build the walls to lean out and then buttressed them to prevent them falling outwards. Very often the buttresses have buttresses !

Edit - Found some pics I took of my (sorta local) church. The third pic shows the space inside with no cross beams at all. Also note that at the end its flat with the huge stained glass window. This is common in UK churches so we dont have the rounded ends to most of ours so we don't generally have flying buttresses on the ends of our churches but a pair of big normal ones instead. Pic 4.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-07-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When in doubt, Google it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

don't want to be a smart ass or something... But his buttresses were too large. Notice something in common in those pictures?
    Notre Dame in Paris: the Buttresses aren't "freestanding". They end upon the outer nave, then to the ground. They hold the walls of the main nave, but then only half of them (or so) is visible, rest is inside the outer nave.
    Amiens: the left ones are normal length, while the right ones are double. There are two rows of buttresses, both of them ending in an outer wall, and only part of them is visible.

The rest is either ending in the outer nave, or there are two rows of those. And that is acceptable. Buttresses so long, as they were in Texcolo's cathedral, would loose their purpose, being too far away from the wall to hold it.
    And when it comes to curved walls, their role was purely aesthetic. Imagine that you have a game card (it can be ace of spades ). Try to make it stand, all by itself, without any support. Falls, right? That's what high thin walls do. Now bend the card so it is in the shape of U. And then make it stand. No problem right? No need for buttresses. That's why english cathedral's didn't have strange rounded buttresses on the end.

The flying buttresses were made only to move the force from the wall, while the buttresses were the holding ones. Those "towers" often had iron cores, because they had to be extremely heavy to carry those walls.

In early catholic churches, before invention of the buttresses, the outer naves had the same role. They were holding up the main nave, which was a bit higher. That, and round vaults prevented roman churches to be high as gothic ones. The more pointed a vault is, the higher it can go. Of course, over time with invention of new buildings materials and techniques vaults role became also purely aesthetic, as with the Redrobes' third picture of a church. Those were the Fan Vaults, but those were used exclusively in late gothic.

here's the construction, arrows are forces.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	construction.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	18418
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttresses.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	18417  
    Last edited by Spiritless; 11-07-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: more info

Blog Entries

Yup - I see no contradictory stuff in that explanation to what I was saying.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast