Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago 1920's gangland map for a Con...

FWIW I do not believe they lined the styreets in the 20's but there will be trolly rails.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/bobhope/images/vc17.jpg

Center lines did exist by the 1920s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_su...arking#History), but I don't know when they got to Chicago.

Post Got it...

Yeah, no doubt. As I already mentioned, I'm replacing the asphalt roads with brick, then removing the center lines, placing some trolley tracks as suggested, put in some power line poles, maybe lights only on the main street on north end of map, then automobiles, trucks, garbage and some other riff-raff.

Finish this tomorrow.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Looking cool.

Good luck with the RPG Superstar. I'm going to give that a go myself. Started working on an entry when I got the announcement...though I got nothing on the kind of guys who usually win that thing so it's just for fun.
    M

Wip Calling it done!

I replaced the asphalt with brick, as well as the sidewalks and this looks 1000% better. I also dirtied up the brick road with some loose gravel, which also gives it a less sanitary and more realistic looks.

The client mentioned that though light poles and such would look more realistic, it might be distracting for his needs, so that spares me some work. Also, I was going to place some period automobiles, but then the client said, he was going to use tiny toy cars for use with the map, so printed cars would be unnecessary and might look funny when also using toy cars. More work spared. I still need to label the rooftops of the buildings to indicate what is what, but I don't think I need to post the labeled version (so this is my last entry of this here.)

So I think I'm done! Yay.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicago.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	19159  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-03-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Turned out quite nicely GP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Cool looking.
    if they decide they want some lights, heres a good shot, with the street lamps.

Good luck with the contest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920streetcatstrikeyongenu1.jpg 
Views:	23511 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	19178  
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-04-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Re-uploaded image as attachment

Post I just learned this is for a new game...

After printing out and laminating this map as a 36" x 36", I asked what game this was for? He replied that he's using a paid for rule-set (like FUDGE, but not free). Then he plans on designing his own Gangster Game, for the purposes of use at Rockcon, in Aurora, Illinois.

You start the game as a gangleader, and begin recruiting "talent" from the neighborhood. Members start their own rackets, take on murder assignments. Each of the businesses in the neighborhood, become either a hangout for the gangsters or someone to threaten for profit. Remember this is prohibition too, that's why there's no tavern/bars in this map.

Eventually, hill billies from downstate move into the Wilcox Tenements, that row of buildings on the west side of the map - which sets off a local gang war between the Chicago gang and the Downstate gang...

That's about all I know of the game - except, that the client just watched the new Dillinger movie, "Public Enemy" and was inspired to create this, hoping for the movie's popularity to make it a hit at the Convention. I have no idea if he plans on marketing this, or just creating it for the fun of it.

GP

PS: the posted last image is a 35.7 x 35.7 inch map at 200 ppi JPG, so it is print ready, though I used a 300 ppi TIF of the map to print a better quality for the client.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-04-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12