Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regional map - Developing styles and techniques

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the overall 'feel' of this, especially the actual size dimensions - I like that elongated look.

The mountains look good to me, but then I like that darker look. Plus, it'll probably be balanced out when you put all your text in. The coastlines look awesome; I really dig that effect, and I like that big depresssion in the west.

The only thing I'd do is like Djekspek suggested and add a bunch of little jagged islands around your fjords.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks everyone for the comments...

Things have been pretty busy around here, so I have a hard time updating and working on my map, but I'll post an updated version sometime this week I suppose...Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am posting an update. I've worked the mountain shape, though it seems it needs a little bit more work. I've also came up with a forest style that I think matches the mountains. Finally, I worked on the sea texture and the coastline, but I think I still miss it...

The lakes are more and modeled after real-world areas. The valley is a sink for a lot of water so I felt it was natural to be filled with lakes. The rivers need some work, so I hide them for now.

So, check it out, I think I am more or less there...

PS: I am going to work on islands and stuff...it seems kind of empty and I think I have a good background that helps me incorporate an intricate island chain.
    Would you provide the general 'land' texture and upload it to this site. I like it and want to add it to my collection, if you wouldn't mind?

Guild Journeyer

Well here's an update! I added islands and a lot of them...This map has a lot of history, actually this were most of my world history begins and since I am redesigning the whole setting I thought I would begin here. It has been struck by the gods and the earth has shaken and stirred. So some strange formations are due to these events.

I also began labelling, to see how it looks...I don't know, need to clear my eyes a bit.

About the texture: The main land was actually formed using Pasi's tutorial with a bit different mix of layers. The texture is available in Pasi's tutorial post. I will probably post a detailed text about the map when it's finished as I would like to keep the same style in all of my overland maps from here on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clermourn_regional_map-some labels.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	18704  

Guild Journeyer

Here is another (major) update on my map. I think I am in the final stages of this one. I have added labels for most of the major geographical features. I only include the four important capital cities of the kingdoms, but maybe I will take them out and make a political map instead. I plan to begin some writing this weekend gathering and polishing my old notes about the area and including new ones. I suppose I might change or add some bits of the map.

Anyway, since I am nearing the completion of this project, I would appreciate any feedback from the community.

Thanks again guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clermourn_regional_map.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	18829  

The mountains, forests and overall terrain looks great. Really cool stuff.

Not too impressed with the sea/lakes however. I think it's both the texture (a pretty plain texture compared to the rest of the textures in the map) and the transition from land to water. I never make maps in this style, so I can't give you tips on how to improve it.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think maybe the bevel on your land masses may be to big, things appear to be 'floating a bit'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I see what SG is saying about the floating...I think it because there is no shallow part in the ocean...it's all fairly flat and consistent. Try some darker blue further out to sea or some lighter teal closer in. The only thing that really sticks out for me is that I'd remove some of the islands in the archipelago...especially from the bays.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only thing that really sticks out for me is that I'd remove some of the islands in the archipelago...especially from the bays.
    Yes. They seem too evenly spaced and similar in size to one another. Doesn't look natural.

The islands are unusual, but perhaps there is a story behind that? I can see that very much as the remains of a land that sunk in some disaster.

Fangorn Forest? Really? Are you dropping a big hint to look for Ents there? Because that's totally what I would do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12