Thread: [Award Winner] A Hand-drawn Primer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

21. Duplicate the Background layer and apply your favorite Pattern Overlay, again I went with Gauche at 400% but I added a white Color Overlay at 60%. See Pic 21.

22. Create a new layer and move it to the top of the layer stack. Fill it with any color you like and set the Blend Mode to Color. See Pic 22.

23. Click back on Layer 1. Grab the Magic Wand again and click in the sea. Select - Modify - Contract = 20. Select - Feather = 20. Select - Inverse. Create a new layer and fill it with black. Click on Layer 1 and grab the Magic Wand again and click in the sea. Select - Modify - Expand = 2. Click on the above layer. Select - Inverse. Select - Modify - Contract = 20. Select - Feather = 20. Hit the delete key and then deselect. This puts a dark ring around the inside of our land as well as the outside. I also used a 100 pixel soft round airbrush tip to brush in some dark spots in the corners. See Pic 23.

24. Add names for places in your favorite font. See Pic 24.

25. Create a new layer and move it to the top of the layer stack. Grab the Paint Bucket tool and fill it with white. Switch over to black and grab a Pencil and make squiggly lines around the edge. Fill the area in with black. This is going to be the edges of our paper so put some rips and cracks on it and have fun. See Pic 25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 21.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	472.1 KB 
ID:	18445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 22.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	586.0 KB 
ID:	18446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 23.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	18447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 24.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	642.3 KB 
ID:	18449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 25.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	18450  

Last edited by Ascension; 11-07-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

26. Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur = .5. You can use something different depending on what your paper shape looks like. Make sure that black is the foreground color then Select - Color Range = black with a fuzziness of 200. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key then deselect. This leaves only the black so now add a layer style of Outer Glow. Use black with a blend mode of Color Burn. Set the size and other parameters to whatever makes you happy. Mine has an opacity of 50%, the size is 81 and the spread is 10. See Pic 26.

27. Create a new layer and move it below the color layer. On this layer put your favorite paper folds. I used one of CoyoteMax's but since it was already colored I had to Image - Adjustments - Desaturate to make it grayscale. I also set the blend mode to hard light. I went and added a drop shadow to the forest pattern layer and put one underneath of the land. See Pic 27.

28. Create a new layer and put it at the top of the layer stack. On this layer put your favorite grunge and blood spatters. See Pic 28.

This is the end. I hope you learned some things and I hope that I was clear enough for you to follow along. As with all of my tuts, you are free to experiment and make changes until you get a result that makes you happy...this is just an Intro class. Putting this thread together took me twice as long as drawing the map in the first place. So once you get used to doing this you can whip these things out really fast.

~A~

Edit: went back and fixed typos and an omitted step...it is now done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 26.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	18451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 27.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	889.7 KB 
ID:	18452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 28.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	912.0 KB 
ID:	18453  
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice result. I'll have to follow it through with a little more time, but this looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    25. Create a new layer and move it to the top of the layer stack. Grab the Paint Bucket tool and fill it with white. Switch over to black and grab a Pencil and make squiggly lines around the edge. Fill the area in with black. This is going to be the edges of our paper so put some rips and cracks on it and have fun. See Pic 25.
    Ascension,
    You can also create this layer by using RobA's Triple-Layer Sandwich (he uses it to created semi-random coastlines). Create a layer, set it to Overlay (or it might be Screen... I'll check my GIMP). Then you basically draw your rough border, invert selection (so the "border" is chosen), fill with black, Gaussian Blur (20+px), Create Solid Noise>Cloud>Random Seed Detail =15 X=16 Y=16 and then play with the layer's Levels. I find you can get some other nice help if you play with the Brightness/Contrast of the layer first, before playing with the Levels (it seems to lessen the "drop off" of some of the shapes).

That's the method I used for my October Entry to get the distressed shape.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Oh sure. There's a ton of ways to do that...I was staying with the whole "hand-drawn" motif, though