Thread: Painted Ocean Waves in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6. Now we paint with the eraser, this is the most time consuming part. Set your brush to about size 6, 65% hardness and shape dynamics to pen pressure. We are going to cut into the trailing edges of the waves and both clean things up and add more painterly style to the whole deal. Similar to how we made the lashes in the previous step we are going to start our eraser strokes just behind the brightest areas of foam and stroke outwards and away from land, making some of the lashes narrower and erasing most near the ends of each wave so that they taper more. You can also erase some from the leading edge of the waves, creating more spray in the whiter areas, just don't overdo it...this part is fun because you can see the final waves take shape as you cut away at them. Again use very light, short, quick strokes. Use this opportunity to clean up mistakes and ensure the flow of the lashes and the waves are contoured pleasingly. Yes I know I am being very subjective here but its time to let your artist out. Depending how you sweep and curve your erasures you will end up with all kinds of looks, its possible to go from realism to stylized almost anime looking waves at this point. I suppose I am somewhere in between with this particular image.

Addendum: You may want to go back and forth some between this step and step 5 with the smudge tool, especially where your erasures look too regular and to smudge out some of the sharper trailing edges of the lashes. You can see how I did this in the close-up view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island06.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	18491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islandclose06.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	18544  
    Last edited by Tom_Cardin; 11-11-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

7. Last part! Lets make the waves furthest from land more transparent so that the focus of our map comes back to the landmass itself. You may want to take the whole wave layer and turn its opacity down some. I reduced the opacity of my layer to 75%. Then using a large soft eraser (size 60-80, hardness 0%) set to 10% opacity and no shape dynamics I started carefully erasing - just to lower the opacity of the outermost waves initialy but working inwards, leaving the waves closest to shore alone.

Addendum: You can also with a bit smaller eraser go over the outer ends of the waves to dim them a bit more - and the inner areas between scallops if you have a long wave with multiple scallops. Again its just a slight change really but it just adds a bit more depth and variance that says "painted".

Name:	island07.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	18492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islandclose07.jpg 
Views:	2518 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	18545  
    Last edited by Tom_Cardin; 11-11-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

TomCardin

Here is the map I am working on using this technique. It is a map of my son's campaign world which I am illustrating for him from his direction. I am using an isometric perspective and as you can see its still very much at the beginning. I was really happy with how the water came out and I thought I would share my process.

Name:	Rogers_World.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	18493  

TomCardin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Cardin View Post
    It is a map of my son's campaign world which I am illustrating for him from his direction.
    You are an awesome dad if I may say so. Also I love the waves!
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

Nice tut, Tom. I eagerly await more Repped.
    M