Token apps, well I make one but its not free and windows only but I think its quite good. There is dungeonforge which I think is free - cant remember if its cross platform or not... Dundjinni is a commercial one too and popular with a lot of tokens floating about for it tho since they use normal PNG's you can import these into mine and dungeonforge too so thats no biggie. CC3 seems to be mostly token based with vector drawing stuff. It can do vector tokens with the SVG format I think but you dont seem to see as many token based maps from CC3. Dont know why that is tho - the lure of line art ? Dunno.

Gimp and Photoshop seem to duke it out a lot here for a raster paint package. Pros and cons of each but the big pro is the free nature of Gimp cos PS is real dear. I use PSP tho but I wont say its any better. Its just that I know it better I think. Familiarity.

Inkscape is the free alternative to Illustrator and same rules as above. A lot of people like doing their text labels in inkscape.

Xara is used by Gamerprinter and combines the vector and raster nature of both. Tho its pretty good by all accounts theres not a lot of take up of it. You should not dismiss it tho.

And for 3D theres a lot. Google sketchup is fast and easy to use but limited in style. Blender is free open source and very hard to use - so hard noone on here regularly uses it in anger. We all dabble now and again. Lots of inbetweens of varying quality. Its the one of the 4 most up for grabs for anyone to make a good cheap easy to use app. 3D is not for everyone tho there are some things where your mad not to do it in 3D.