Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Land of the Eleven Tribes

Thnx for pointing out the river problems Gandwarf, no idea how i missed them . Hopefully these rivers are better, I couldn't completely fix them up and a lot of what has been done to make them look as such is very difficult to undo at this stage.

I also went back and tried to improve the transition of forest to mountain as Tear suggested, I think I found a way to do it.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land of the Eleven Tribes.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	18830  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Lone> Don't mind helping you establish your politics. As you can no doubt tell, I'm big on grand scale politics in D&D campaigns and how they burrow down into individual stories.

Also in D&D terms, I tend to also be very aggressive about alignments in D&D (particularly Evil societies... 3.5E and onwards don't make Evil societies "evil enough", they're just 'not absolutely friendly' instead of EVIL with a capitalised BBEG thrown in).

But then again, that's probably for another forum and a set of posts about 6 months long about wether 4E is the D&D equivalent of fairy-floss or a "genuine evolution".
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Okay, with the terrain done of this map I'm moving onto towns and other signs of civilisation and settlement. On my last map I did this with small and rather simple symbols to represents towns, capitals and forts and with a simple line of dots to represent major travel routes. Now, aiming for a more detailed and pseudo-realistic map I'm trying to make symbols and stuff that actually look like what they're supposed to look like.

Let me begin by saying that I have no idea what i"m doing so most of this is based of Pasis' tut with the town texture made using Pyrandon's town tut. Here on this practice map I have a city, a town, two small villages and a lot of farmland. I have four because I have four different farmland types, which do you think looks best? I personally like the fourth one but some might find it too bright. And before people point it out, I know the roads aren't that great, as we speaks this I have fixed the problem and have a more cobble-like road for the next map.

Also note that all of these things are much larger than they will be on the real map, its just practice right now. I'm also trying to make some forts and towers and such but first I'm doing some research to try and figure out which cultural architecture I want to try and emulate. I'm aiming for something a little less european and a little more asian or indian but so much that people couldn't immediatly relate them back to either culture, maybe i could aim for babylonian

-D-

Name:	Town Practice 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	18870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice 2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	18871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	18872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice 4.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	18873  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Honestly I don't care much for the farmland texture, looks more like cracks to me. Maybe try something more like this

I do like the towns, etc. though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, the farmland does look like cracks, which was something i was hoping to downplay in the third pic which looks more like fields than the other three but the colour threw me off. My farms are still in an experimental phase.

I do have a concern about my scale though. Right now I have it at 1 pixel = 1/4 mile or 400 metres, would things like towers and fortress even be visible at that range or should I make the map bigger to increase the scale. On the same note would it be feasible for a 1000x1000 mile country to have 12 cities or should it be 1 city and 11 towns?

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I have a question about this map, does the geography make sense, is it possible to find this kind of layout in a real world place. I ask because I was thinking of redoing the geography, mainly mountain placements, but if people are fine with it I'll continue as it is.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just wanted to say I love this map; it looks simply beautiful, especially the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    I do have a concern about my scale though. Right now I have it at 1 pixel = 1/4 mile or 400 metres, would things like towers and fortress even be visible at that range or should I make the map bigger to increase the scale. On the same note would it be feasible for a 1000x1000 mile country to have 12 cities or should it be 1 city and 11 towns?
    I've always found this to be useful: Medieval demographics made easy.

Yeah, i founf my copy of medieval demographics and found out that a 1000x1000 mile map gave me more people and cities than i knew what to do with. So i changed the scale so that 8 pixels = 1 mile which gives me a 500x500 mile map. This gives me a population of 5 miliion people, about 20 people per square mile to represent that most of the country is still wilderness, and can support 1 big city and 11 smaller cities, exactly what i was aiming for, although naming 60 towns isn't going to be easy.

On the subject of terrain, I'm leaving it as it is but I'm now breaking it down into 11 territories and will change any terrain that I believe needs changing.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, fooled around with the farmlands, put in two castles and redid the roads. The farms look more "farmy" here and while they're small here when put on the full-sized map they'll actually look bigger.

Short update I know.

-D-

Name:	Town Practice.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	527.0 KB 
ID:	18901  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice

Since I'm currently also trying to get cities right in my map I'm familar with the topic.
    I like your towns and especially your keep.

But I'm not sure about your farmland, looks more like orchards now...I would (and did) also use the texture Steel General suggested.

Edit: In your main map some of the rivers still seem to be floating, maybe you could correct this by using a reversed bevel or bump map.
    Last edited by Draszmar; 11-24-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast