Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Land of the Eleven Tribes

More playing around with the farmlands and have come up with these two. The first is former farm type but made lighter to blend in more with the terrain and the second is the texture that Steel suggested. The second one does look more farmish but there is something about i don't like. I can't figure out what though.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	18904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice copy.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	18905  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I like the second one better, it does have a bit of a neon glow to it though...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Okay, I have three maps here. The first is Evelakaia with the last of the terrain done and the tribal borders put it, the borders are still quite rough and probably won't be on the end map but are there to help me figure out who owns what. The second and third maps are my farm types with two different colour styles, which is better? Note: on the large map you have to zoom into 100% to see as intended, the zoomed out look does it no justice.

In order to use the more accepted farm type and use my orchard farm type I've decided on two farm types. As you can see on the map there are large areas of rocky terrain, these areas are actually a lot greener and wetter than they appear. As the farming of things like grain and rice and such tends to ruin the soil the fertile valleys of these rocky areas are given over to the cultivating of fruit orchards and several special farms devoted to growing medicinal herbs. The main farm types of grain and rice will be cultivated along the rivers near the cities.

It is to be noted that only about 11% of the land will be farmland. Alot of the newer towns will rely on their own small crops or would have to have food shipped in from other towns. Most of the food production in this country is done around the older, major cities and these lands are always heavily guarded against "bandit" raids and spirit attacks.

Also, I'm having a slight colour problem with my rivers right but that should be fixed by my next map.

-D-

Name:	Land of the Eleven Tribes.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	18906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	478.6 KB 
ID:	18907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Practice copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	18908  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I prefer the first of the 2 farmland styles, the second is a bit 'neon/fluorescent' for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like the second one a tad more.
    The rivers look fine to me, the one on the NW has a few spots where it looks like the forest layer has some bleeding over, but that's the only possible issue I saw.

Overall, I like it!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the second farms too; color seems to fit better while the first one seems to be more realistic.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I actually don't like this style of farmlands you seem to be settling on. To me it just looks like a texture overlaid on your map and faded at the edge. It just doesn't gel for me.
    I definitely prefer one of your earlier farmland experiments, when you were worried they looked more like cracks.
    It seems to me that you are trying to please too many people when we all know that taste differs greatly between individuals. Just pick something that you like personally and go with it. Your last finished map was featured so you can't be too far out in your design choices.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I thought i was all set to get onto the fine details but I've hit a snag. It seems that almost all of my textures are too big and don't work too work on a small scale, you'll notice when you zoom in on the rocky areas and mountains that they start to look pixelated, even at 100%. So I'm goin back to my textures to clean them up, make them more seamless and make them better to be used at a smaller scale. I won't chage my map all that much, I'm just going over it again to make it look cleaner, especially as you zoom in. What is really annoying about this is that I deleted all of the old pics i used to create my other textures so now I need new pics or hunt down the older ones.

In regards to my farming I am going with Ramah and reverting back to my older styles. I'm grateful for all input so far its just that as I'm already using a lot of other peoples techniques it would be nice to have a few techniques to be able to call my own.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, updating. Instead of just redoing the texture i redid the whole map, hopefully this one is better than the previous version. I made the mountains much more imposing and rotated the coast line so that the northern and southern borders can be established easier. I tried experimenting with creating an inland cliff feature that divides the tribes into the upper and lower tribes.

-D-

Name:	Evelakaia.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	18997  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I really like the way this is looking, you did a fabulous job on the mountains. the cliff works, but the larger of the northern rivers looks a little odd by going down the slope at an angle

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast