Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Wars (forum game)

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    There's some interesting development as well... several groups have decided to go to the dragons to find help, or offer help, in fighting the undead... and they're not even being posted by the same person... so I have to ask... are we going to allow people to collaborate posts in the background?
    I'm not sure it's necessary. I, for one, am just going for what I think is interesting in trying to explore interesting conflicts and plots and trying to key off interesting things I see in others' posts. And if I have some idea of something I want to do, and then somebody does something unexpected that makes that impossible, I try to roll with it and see what new directions that takes things. It's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Sorry, this post probably totally destroyed the map idea as Kaidan just stuck its nose in here!

GP
    Hey, does Kaidan have a defined western part of its world? If not, then it fits in here no problem. If it does, well, you can just cut it out and fit it here no problem anyway. The way I see it, this just opened up a whole new and interesting front in the Race Wars. I'm imagining this version of Kaidan lying far to the east of where the main action has taken place so far, such that any number of interesting and unexplored lands may lie between.

@ Imahilus: I'm enjoying the fluid and changing nature of how this is all coming together. It's great fun!

the latest version of the names list attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Karro; 11-19-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Forgot an update to the Halfling status on this file; corrected
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

@ Karro: fair...
    @ GP, admittedly I am focusing on a few (if rather powerful) characters... which is sorta why I'm keeping my post count on the low side... and doing a little build up in my posts... after all, I have a rather large group that's intent is to attack the undead... and have still yet to do it.

I've got a doozie coming in tonight... but I'm saving it for later.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    @ Karro: fair...
    @ GP, admittedly I am focusing on a few (if rather powerful) characters... which is sorta why I'm keeping my post count on the low side... and doing a little build up in my posts... after all, I have a rather large group that's intent is to attack the undead... and have still yet to do it.

I've got a doozie coming in tonight... but I'm saving it for later.
    Likewise (both on your point to GP, but I've been trying to focus on expanding on existing characters to make them more powerful, but, like you, I've got a few doozies planned for some of the big chars... I just need to build up to it a little without telegraphing those plans too much. I hope it's cool!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Post No problem...

No problems really. Its just I do enjoy some minor creative writing now and again, and I've yet to find a decent "writer's site" to do that. I've found several, but none that really served my needs well enough. For the first time, through this forum game I have an outlet for my creative writing - and I don't have to leave my favorite site to do that!

This game is quite fun, if only to throw some 3 paragraph stories - I am really enjoying that. However, since the dwarves seem to be rising too quickly, and mostly by a single person's agenda, I'm starting to lose interest in the game, because of that.

I don't want that to happen, as again, I'm enjoying the short writing exercise this game allows for. So my critiques on events is based on my selfish needs to continue to practice the writer's art.

Go ahead, continue however you want to go, I was just trying to curb the one-sidedness in some of the participants entries, so my interests can remain high.

Being completely selfish here, sorry about that.

GP

PS: Kaidan, the setting, is kind of set up like a large island chain in the middle a Pacific sized ocean, kind of like where Hawaii is located, but much further north, so no "western" lands even close by, not even a China anywhere close. But that means nothing, as this is a game in its own world. I just thought a Japanese twist would be a creative interjection into the current dynamic plot being developed by the participant community.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    GP

PS: Kaidan, the setting, is kind of set up like a large island chain in the middle a Pacific sized ocean, kind of like where Hawaii is located, but much further north, so no "western" lands even close by, not even a China anywhere close. But that means nothing, as this is a game in its own world. I just thought a Japanese twist would be a creative interjection into the current dynamic plot being developed by the participant community.
    I know what you mean about the creative writing aspect. As a non-nanowrimo participant, due to time constraints, it's great to have a little outlet for some short bursts of creative writing! It's very refreshing.

My main concern, game-wise, is the imminent demise of the Orks, which I fear may take some of the potential drama out of the game if they are exterminated so quickly. I just haven't thought of many good ways of giving them some points back to keep them in the game.

And yeah, I agree totally that dropping a Japanese-twist into the evolving plot is a great addition. It made me, in that short space, rethink the Orks in a different cultural context. Like, what if the Orks in the Far East were not just warlike, but had a stratified caste system based on honor and respected not just the strong who can fight, but the elders who fought and survived. What if their caste system held a special place of honor for the women, or something else that differentiates them from your bog-standard western Ork? It makes me wonder how the other races are different in the Far East as well, and I look forward to seeing that part evolve over time.
    Last edited by Karro; 11-19-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Yes, I'm a fan of the dwarves =P
    Sorry about that!

The reason why I've stopped picking on the orcs is because they're quite weak at the moment, I'll see what I can do for them.

PS: and yes, I'm quite enjoying this little silly game aswell.
    Lets face it, there are no real mechanics to speak of... yet most keep it in the 'semi-normal' region, making it sound like a neat world.
    I see it more as a communitive world / history building project than a game =)
    And not trying to ruin anybodies fun! so sorry if I upset anybody / gamerprinter.
    Last edited by Imahilus; 11-19-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The orks need some love. I can't help but root for the underdog.

Bonesnapper slowly rose his head above the level of the ridge, and surveyed the valley below. There was a group of elves setting up camp for the night, and upon spotting the emblem displayed on the tent, he grinned to himself. He lowered himself slowly, taking no chances he would be heard even though the camp was over half a mile distant, and slowly creeped back to his ragged band of orks.

"Yer, I promised ya we'd catch up to the sneaky buggers. They're just over the hill. Setting up camp like they're at home or summat. We attack at midnight." Bonesnapper drew out a quick map of the elven encampment in the dirt.

"They should be expecting that" growled one of the larger orks. "I would. Double watch, guards here, here here, and here."

"That's why you're going to pick out 5 others to go with you, and take them out. As soon as you signal, the rest of us charge."

"6 of us? But they won't have more than 4 guards. Unless..."

"That's right. I know something you don't. They are acting too casual. They know we're following them, and there's not enough of them setting up camp, there's at least 6 in the trees. Who here has the best eyes? Come with me while Korg gets his group ready."

As Bonesnapper led the other ork back to the ridge, he thought back to the incidents that had led them to this position. He much preferred a proper fight rather than using geurilla tactics, but those elves had cut down the army the instant they entered the forest. Of course, it wasn't exactly a fair fight, seeing as they were fleeing a horde of giants, but that was all the more reason to hate the elves. At least the ork survivors he had managed to band together were well versed in the ways of the woods, as good as the elves in fact - and that's the only reason they had survived the surprise attack. Well, those elves were about to get a taste of their own medicine. It might be only 20 elves, but it would be a good start.

As the moon rose over the ridge at midnight, Bonesnapper heard the hoot of an owl. "Ok boys, the sentries are down. Let's take em."

He unsheathed his scimitar, and 30 orks descended silently upon the elven encampment. When morning arrived, there was no trace of the elves, or their camp. Bonesnapper led his warband north, looking for another patrol.

Orks +1
    Elves -1

Human: 23
    Elves: 24
    Barbarians: 23
    Dwarves: 30
    Dragons: 28
    Undead: 28
    Halflings: 26
    Giants: 25
    Orks: 17
    Drow (evil elves): 26

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

The Drow necromancer and House Wizard, Rhaeth, licked his lips as he examined the sutures where the limbs joined the torso and nodded with glee. He uttered the last sentence of the ancient animating spell, and the monstrosity ambled its way to its feet, only the necromancer's high pitched laughter was the only sound heard. Rhaeth reached up to its jaw and pulled to the left, it was still disjointed. As he reached for pliers, one of its six arms made a lightening swift grab holding the drow firmly around his head lifting him off the ground. Another clawed hand pierced is back exploding entrails onto its torso. A gaping crooked maw opened from the middle of its abdomen and a crudely stitched tongue reached out and pulled the Drows dying form into its maw.

After a few minutes, the oversized nostrils at the top of its head (?) flared wide. More living souls were nearby, so it lumbered toward the door, hearing the sounds of taunting and laughter down the corridor, the undead thing ambled towards them with an eternal hunger that will never be sated...

Undead: +1
    Drow: -1

Dwarves: 30
    Undead: 29
    Drow (evil elves): 25
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-19-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The Taste of Vengeance

Kira, the sole survivor of the cave-in which destroyed the Drow city of Naach, leapt from shadow to shadow within the halls of Ardins Hold. She moved with supernatural silence, her form fading into the cold air like a ghost. Acquiring that bit of sorcery which enabled her to move past the guards unnoticed had not been easy, nor cheap. The things she had had to do and sacrifice for it would cost her own life, for sure - probably damn her soul too. But she did not care. In her bitter heart there was room for but one desire: vengeance for the destruction wrought by Malivus Rockmaw.

The Dwarf himself had perished, so the bearded freaks of Ardins Hold would have to pass for a subtitude. Kira made her way swiftly through the tunnels, sneaking to every well-chamber and food storage she found along the way, poisoning them with a vile concoction. Finally, she found the tombs, the hallowed resting places of Dwarves deceased in these mines. Amidst the urns and caskets she could feel that her time was drawing close; the fell and demoniac entities that had lent her power were hungrily tugging at her spirit. She unsheathed a ritual dagger, thrusted the serrated blade to her abdomen, and with her final breath let loose a bittersweet curse. The tainted walls of this now corrupt catacomb would not offer rest to those Dwarven cadavers that'd be buried there after the poison had done it's work...

Drow (evil elves): +1
    Dwarves: -1

Dwarves: 29

For nine days and nights the furnaces in the bowels of Ardins Hold raged in a flaming inferno, three more days on top of the mountain the smiths toiled with a ember of rimefire so pure that it could melt metal. Nineteen days of forging in total they toiled, working feverously like a well oiled machine. On the twentieth, they were finished.
    Duragai once again stepped into the dragons cave on top of the mountain.
    Great Arzaghinar, I bring to you a token of our appreciation for thine help.
    We forged this armour for you made from the lightest and strongest metals we have, our smiths worked for nineteen days straight forging it in part from inferno, and part deathly cold. Please accept our humble gift.
    The dragon beckoned Duragai, and the moment he stepped closer lifted him by holding his head in between two of his fingers.
    Dwarfss, you wills honour our ancient contract, wills you not?
    Despite his position, duragai answered.
    Great wyrm of frost, we dwarves honour our contrasts even if we would die by them. We forged this armour to proof our commitment, as you have allready done with the giants.
    The dragon put him down again slowly.
    You may present to me your gift.
    A regiment of elderly dwarves carried in the armour, not letting it ride on a wagon but carried by the dignity they represent.
    The dragon smirked, despite his cold heart and facade, he couldn't help but marvel the finely crafted pieces. Each piece of metal glistening like a pure sheet of ice, but infinitely times stronger and being addorned with exquisite engravings. Yesss, this will do dwarfs.
    Duragai responded with a bow.
    We will take our leave now, the undead are reaching the foothills, we must prepare our defenses.

Dragons +1
    Dwarves -1

Dwarves: 28
    Dragons: 29

(I reckon I'll be helping out with the orks a bit from now on)
    (edit: removed typo...)
    Last edited by Imahilus; 11-20-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast