Thread: Race Wars (forum game)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

There was a new peace settling between the kingdom of Aslanica and the neighboring Knobbly Hills, and prosperity began to flourish as King Osric focused his attention on improving his people's condition.

As he sat in consult with the lords of the realm planning a new dike to divert the River Cordalia toward the lowlands of Aslanica, providing much-needed water for farmers, a messenger burst into the counsel room.

"My Lord, King Osric," the messenger yelled, panting. Sweat glistened on the messenger's brow. "News from the Southern Marches!"

Osric bid the messenger speak with a wave of his hand. "My Lord, the Undead Scourge is terrorizing the villages along the southern march. Though they have not attacked outright in full force, they make nighttime raids, stealing away women and children. The people there are sueing for relief."

Osric turned to the lords assembled with him. He did not want to repeat the mistakes of his father, and lead his armies into a disastrous campaign.

"This is grave news indeed. My Lords, your counsel?"

Lord Edvart of Colden's Hold, which sat furthest south of the King's castles and had dominion over the Southern Marches, spoke first. "My Lord King, word has reached us at Colden's Hold of the rising of the Lich King Iskartos. They say he has strived to establish an empire of the Undead in all these lands, to serve some darker purpose of which we know nothing further. But our scouts say that he has turned his eye toward Aslanica. We have heard of no force in all these lands that has been able to turn aside the Undead Scourge or halt their advance. But I pray you, we must find away to protect our Southern Marches, or else the Scourge will overrun the entire Kingdom."

Lord Arctur of Caem Leothr, one of the oldest holdings in Aslanica, was next to share his counsel. "My Lord King, all is not lost. You know that the lands of Caem Loethr on the northwest was once the center of an ancient kingdom, now past long before the rise of Aslanica. Our people there still hold to the ancient ways, and we have strong ties to the ancient race of elves, and to the other old peoples that live on our borders there. We have heard tell of a new and mysterious force of mountain elves gathering in the Weathered Peaks to stand fast against the scourge. The word has it that these mountain elves are lead by a mighty dragon. As you know, the people of neighboring Marlinlar have long worshipped a dragon who reigns over all the lands there, though we have had little word of that dragon's fate since the undead began attacking the lands of Marlinlar. We should send an immissary at once to the Weathered Peaks in search of this elven band and their dragon, entreating an alliance against the Undead."

Lord Edvart spoke again. "We cannot wait on the whims of elves to fight off this scourge. We must rally our armies now to engage them immediately before they overrun all the southern marches and overtake Colden's Hold."

Lord Andrik of Tyre's Gap followed. "My Lord King, perhaps the Halflings of Knobbly Hills would lend us aid, now that our old feud is settled in peace. Certainly, the Undead Scourge threatens them as assuredly as it threatens us. If the Southern Marches fall, it is an easy thing for the Scourage to pass over into the lands we ceded to the Halflings."

King Osric weighed his options. Before the night was done, he had dispatched emissaries to Bumbledown Hall and to the Weathered Peaks seeking alliances. With the light of morning, Osric was riding out with a muster of his gaurd and Lord Edvart and his men in tow toward Colden Hold. He prayed to the Princes of the Nine Heavens that his messengers found him allies in this war.

From Colden Hold, Osric directed the preparations for defense against the expected onslaught of the Undead Scourge. As the campaign commenced, his elite cavalry reported early victories against the zombies and ghouls in their nighttime raids. But with those victories came other, disturbing reports of what became of the abducted women and children.

Humans: +1
    Undead: -1

Human: 21
    Elves: 25
    Barbarians: 23
    Dwarves: 28
    Dragons: 28
    Undead: 28
    Halflings: 27
    Giants: 27
    Orks: 17
    Drow (evil elves): 26

P.S. an update of the placenames and characters so far visited/met is attached. It's like a map, but less structured and more freeform, and it evolves with the game if I can keep it up Let me know if you guys think it unnecessary, but my guess is others of you may find it useful if you want to refer back.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Karro; 11-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...