Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern krugland

It looks brilliant. Great colors, nice textures and symbols.
    One thing seems off to me: the scale of the mountains. To me, they look too large.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with Gandwarf. Your villages and towns look really tiny compared to the mountains you have in there, although that's not necessarily a showstopper if the mountains are meant as graphical representations of where the mountain range is, rather than depicting each individual mountain. Besides, if each of those little dots is a village then the forests are massive compared to them too so it's in keeping with the style.

I'm not sure the paper folds go with the style of the map though, but it does seem to have calmed down the really bright grass colour that actually made me squint my eyes against it on previous versions.

On the whole though it's a really nice map, Clercon, as all your maps are.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    One thing seems off to me: the scale of the mountains. To me, they look too large.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with Gandwarf. Your villages and towns look really tiny compared to the mountains you have in there, although that's not necessarily a showstopper if the mountains are meant as graphical representations of where the mountain range is, rather than depicting each individual mountain. Besides, if each of those little dots is a village then the forests are massive compared to them too so it's in keeping with the style.

I'm not sure the paper folds go with the style of the map though, but it does seem to have calmed down the really bright grass colour that actually made me squint my eyes against it on previous versions.

On the whole though it's a really nice map, Clercon, as all your maps are.
    Thanks for the input guys. The mountain size in the map is a way to try to get the feeling of a huge mountainrange that surrounds the passage to the “wild north” from northern Krugland. So on purpose I made the mountains BIG. To create some feeling of how it is to look up at those mountains when you stand down in the valley. But I agree on that the towns didn’t come out well. They look a little bit too tiny compared to the mountains. I have to look at that part again and see what I can do.

I’m also not too convinced with the paper folds, but I do like the way that the paper texture enhance the overall feeling, and colour of the map. So I guess I have to look for a paper without folds and see how that works out.

It’s always interesting how a map can change after a night’s good sleep. Things you thought looked great in the evening…don’t look just as great in the morning :-)

Definitely a beautiful map

Not much of an update, not too much time to fiddle on things tonight. But I increased the size of the towns and also removed the foldings from the paper texture. In my opinion I think this was a good improvement of the map. Now I just have to do the part north of the wall, and then it's time for labeling. Only about 30+ towns this time :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norra krugland_4.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	808.1 KB 
ID:	19304  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Looks great!

Beautiful indeed. Can't wait to see the end result.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    Not much of an update, not too much time to fiddle on things tonight. But I increased the size of the towns and also removed the foldings from the paper texture. In my opinion I think this was a good improvement of the map. Now I just have to do the part north of the wall, and then it's time for labeling. Only about 30+ towns this time :-)
    I would like to see the towns and villages represented not as 2D redish dots, but exaggerated 3D-ish towns and cartooned (but with taste and style) that matches the style of the mountains... populations represented by the size of the towns and villages or regional communties.

Just a thougt, and I think your totally right and knew right off why the Mountains are larger then one would expect.. from your first example posting you set the tone of the map with those larger then life mountains... once again, cartoonesque... but not in a bad way.

Love what you are doing, keep it coming.

Bow those are what i call mountains, nice work

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by CartoGeo View Post
    I would like to see the towns and villages represented not as 2D redish dots, but exaggerated 3D-ish towns and cartooned (but with taste and style) that matches the style of the mountains... populations represented by the size of the towns and villages or regional communties.
    I've actually played with the idea to draw 3D-ish towns and walls etc. But in the current scale I'm doing this the towns would be too small to even be recognizable. I might try it in a later stage, but at the same time I kind of like my dots :-)

This map is also more of a test of my style. After having done the Ankh-Bathor region map I wanted a more fun place to map. Around Ankh-Bathor I mainly had Hills and coastline, so no fun mountains to draw. This map has no real importance for my story (that I dream of one day having the time and skill to put to paper), my story is about Ankh-Bathor, city of cities.

The only place of importance in this map is the monastery that is situated in the mountains far up the valley. There on the slopes of the mountains a very old man writes down the story of how he lived, died and lived again.

As they say – Death is only the beginning :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast