Thread: Fantasy population centers, motives, and history

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

It is your world and you can choose whatever direction logical or illogical that you wish. Much like many published worlds and adventures often make no sense with the ecosystem. How many sentient beings can truly develop and live that close together. I digress

Personally I prefer to start with a small area and expand outwards as that way you do not feel stuck by your own work. I generally have a good idea where I want people but as to ruins and lost places they should stay that until you decide It needs to be where the PC's are at. Nothing is more frustrating to me then choosing a place and then being stuck with my results later.

The problem with being stuck on the macro it is not significant to the game. The players only care about what is in front of them. Some my find the history and background cool but it is more an exercise for you to enjoy your world more not them .

Players exist and play in the micro. They only care about your world as far as it effects their character. They don't care why the creatures are placed that way they just care if they are going to interfer in their plans and adventure.

If you are really lucky you will have players that will build a background and a good history for their character which helps give the world more life for them in my opinion.

Just my opinion take it or leave it

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good points Xyll. I tend to think of writing and forget gaming so for gaming your points are quite spot-on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps