Thread: Greyhawk: Rift Crag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Anna,

Just a couple of thoughts to leave you with:

1. If you want smooth transitions of say, woods on mountains, consider using a lighting gel for the woods rather than a texture - it will slow down the render but it can look more natural, although you will have to play with the light colour to get the colour you want (since the resulting colour you see will be a combination of the colour of the light and the colour of material it is shining on) - worth a bash.

2. Check out context free you can find some great looking fractal textures to use as image textures in Bryce (complicated cities, woods etc), and you can write your own if you have the sort of brain that can think in code (I haven't but I'm going to try). Also check out the galleries and see if any of the stuff posted there appeals.

Here is an example of woods on mountains using a gel (just basic noise as the gel and using a green light) and a futuristic cityscape (using a premade context free image) also using a gel with a red light. They are very rough but I haven't the time right now to do detailed work, but you get the idea.

Best of luck! I would love to see what you can make out of these tools.

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryce render.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryce 2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	691  

Wow

I’m soo glad I found this site!

I have fiddled around with lighting gels a bit when they first appeared in some earlier version of Bryce, and as you said it takes some tweaking to get it right. Back then I wasn’t ready for things that advanced, and then I forgot about that function so I’m glad you pointing it out for me.

Context free seems very interesting. I have downloaded it and will start experimenting to see what I can make of it.

Besides I’m trying to assemble examples of my work since I started making maps over 20 years ago to study my development over the years. It was a journey down memory lane that I’m planning to share with you here on the forum.

Thanks for all the help and inspiration.

Anna

Hi

It’s been a while since I updated this thread but now is the time to show the published version of my map of the Rift Crag area of Greyhawk.

Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47_20071112.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	1606  

Very nice map. Any plans of expanding beyond the flananess region once you've finished it?