Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ovelesk CR

Attachment 42355Well the mountains are too straight and regular. As I remember the mountain tutorial the mountains need to be built up gradually and each layer gets "sharper" and narrower by use of smaller brushes. They should also taper at the ends instead of just cut off. The example is very crude but shows what I mean. You might need to go over the tutorial again to see if you missed something? The basic map shows alot of potential ; take it slow and experiment.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

I will be back to playing with it again tomorrow. Any chance you can post a screenshot of the layers you used to do that. I think it would help me to visualize how it's done.

Actually it was done in Photoshop. Gimp is in some ways similar but in alot of ways different. I downloaded RodA's tutorial and it wasn't simple to follow and had alot of steps. Here is a link to RobA's Video of the tutorial .http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/v...omSeriesID=262.
    I used Tears Tutorial.http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...4&d=1262251614 It is for Photoshop but might be convertible for gimp ?? I don't know much about Gimp I have it but use it mostly to convert certain file types for use in Photoshop . There are some Gimp experts here that might be able to convert it for you. Not much help I am afraid .

Alright so here is attempt number 2. Looking any better. I think I need to do a little tapering in the Molmar (south east corner of the continent).

Thanks lostatsea a few more hours fiddling and I may of something usable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4Earethver3mh_Yathe.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	42373

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I would make the peak of the mountains a bit more sharper, means smaller brush and stronger emboss effekt. Perhaps you find a texture for grasland, forest and desert to give the landscape more charakter

Looking better ! Keep trying ;sorry i couldn't be more help ! Did you get a chance to view RabA's video ? It seemed easier to understand than the pdf version ?

Rob A's video tutorial was better. Still need to fiddle around with it, but its getting a lot closer to what I want. Thanks
    I continue to play with it a little bit here and there. One decent mountain in the lower part of the left continent.
    Not sure I like the sea scape effect may go back on that one. <shrugs>

Reps for the help!

Name:	A4Earethver3_4merge2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	42646

Getting there ! Don't get discouraged ! Once you learn the software enough to get it to do what you want it to.Things will come along much faster. I've been plugging away for a few years and still haven't decide on a "STYLE" i want to use yet but I have learned a lot about what Photoshop can and can't do so once I decide how I want things to look It should go pretty quick. I HOPE !!

I would also say it's coming along nicely, but I'm also going to repeat Steel General's point - red text on greenish backgrounds is a bad idea for colour blind people. I.e. me

Another work in progress, really hating the Red text and the blue font for the rivers, but the style is more like what i want. I think the water is too dark and I need to add some forests and things but been awhile since I did an update so... here ya go. Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Note: If anyone has an easy way to update the font colors for the newest version of GIMP I am all ears.

Name:	A4Earethver5d_sm.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	45347

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast