Thread: Newbie, Need input and advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

your Z? que?

Blog Entries

Its spam and will be delt with in two microseconds....

Wip

Well some progress. I have been going through the old ultima maps, and numbers 4 and 5 (because of the dual scale world) really seemed to be scaled big, but not big enough.
    By taking the size of a cell and setting it equal to a small town (say 500 ft), then multiply by 512 (number of cells) you get about 50 miles. I looked at google earth and have found no 50 mile islands with near enough mountain and shoreline detail that these maps have.

Because the continent contains multiple mountain chains, and is in the middle of the ocean, I surmise it must be much bigger. I am not finding mountain chains much shorter than 100 miles on Google earth, so scaling up, I think the smallest this continent can be is about 300 miles. It has too much feature for a coral atoll or a volcanic island, though there is some volcanic activity. That being said, how does the strange C-shape get created? I am postulating that the left hand side is of the island is formed by a plate tectonic convergence boundary. That leaves the possibility of some of the smaller islands being caused by andesite volcanics. I am working out how this can be possible and will make some sketches.

I also intend on taking a look at how major ocean currents behave. I found these neat map of new zealand currents. I will come up with something similar for this.
    New Zealand Currents

Anyhow, I compared all of the maps of britannia, and found that ultimas 4,5,6 and 7 actually agreed pretty well with each other as far as the shoreline. The other major features, rivers and mountain ranges, were very different however. I took the most detailed one (ultima 5 - also the largest scale) and made an outline of it so that I had a base to make notes on and tweak the shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultima 5 map outline.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	18743