Thread: Newbie, Need input and advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Britannia from Ultima - HF and geological reimagining project

Hey all,
    This is my second post. I am a true cartographer enthusiast and a really big fan of RPG's - Ultima in particular.

I am interested in starting a majorly huge undertaking to reimagine Britannia. I want to consider:
    Size and scaling of the continent
    Political and demographic issues
    Economy and trade routes
    Geology and land formation
    etc.

I intend on using this project as a means of teaching myself Photoshop, Terragen, L3dt, and others, and I suspect it will take a LOT of time. I would appreciate help and input, especially from other Ultima fans.
    As a finished product I intend on producing:
    A highly detailed heightmap (in 24kx24k pixels)
    Nice renders and flybyes
    A pretty photoshop map
    A hand painted historical looking map done on true parchment (goat skin)

I have a question and a few pictures I would like some critique on.
    First, the question. I want to make a thread where I can track my progress, but I am not really sure where the best place to start it is. Any advice?

Also, my progress.
    The files:
    1. - a mockup of a heightmap that I created by piecing together DEM's of malaysia and indonesia to create a HF of britannia (original is 8192x8192)
    2/3 - Map A/Map B - these are concepts I made of shorelines. There are aspects of each that I like (I highlighted them) but ultimately I am not qualified to identify which appear to be geologically correct. Map A, to me, seems to have more character, and Map B seems to me to be more geologically correct, but I am not sure. pI ultimately intend to perhaps merge these. Any advice on what to change in either? The size I am shooting for is about 500 Miles for the continent. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BritanniaHeightMapPreview.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	18664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0009.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	955.3 KB 
ID:	18665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0010.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	18666  
    Last edited by swotavator; 11-18-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: title of thread was bad