Thread: Hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As a fellow CC user of many years (not nearly as long as you though) I'm looking forward to your contributions to the community. We need to get more folks over here from the email list so that they can really start showing off the power of a CAD program when it comes to mapping. We have users of other vector programs such as Illustrator as well, and the whole is definitely greater than its parts to be sure.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

I have always been interested in applying a finishing touch to my CC maps with a package like illustrator. However, one thing I've learned is that too much detail kills the usability of the map as much as too little. As much as I've wanted to at times, I've come to realize that a map is a 'concept' and its job is to provide a rapid and easily assimilated overview of what the audience needs to know: geographic, demographic, etc. If you attempt to 'show' everything (every forest, the difference between woods, and wooded grasslands, etc) then you start taking the mystery out of the mix, and overstimulating the viewer. It is a hard mix to master. So, ultimately, I stay away from the use of multiple tools (I admit, I love the looks of some maps that have adobe finishing touches, though). Also, I sort of believe that by really immersing myself into CC3, I can learn all the nuances, and pull every ounce of capabilities it has, and there is a lot it can do that folks may not realize, and I don't realize, until I challenge myself to create a certain effect.

Welcome aboard!

Looking at the flurry of your initial postings, I feel safe saying that you will make a great addition!

-Rob A>

(and 30 years experience makes you a veritable guru compared to us hacks come much more recently to the hobby!)

Guild Member

I am sure my postings may slow... I am pretty excited to find a good mapping site. I started my own a year and a half ago (fantasymapper.com) but really did not promote it, and only got a few people signed up...
    What I have noticed is that many people seem to lurk but not post. I'd love to see more chat happening!

As would we! The general forums are a great place to strike up some conversations about whatever. Hint, hint.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome, Richard! Always good to see more CC3 users here

Guild Member

Thanks! I guess I am surprised that more CC users don't post here. I guess the learning curve scares some folks away... but its not like your average adobe product is simple to learn either!
    Making good maps can be done with any package, but I'd imagine you have to know your stuff with any of them.
    I've tried a lot, and I really always gravitate to CC.