Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elosha

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Inspired by Ramah's icons I thought I'd do a few of my own for this map, nothing special just quick stuff...here's a screenie. I'm thinking I might redo all of my cities and towns this way...might be too much, I dunno. Basically I start with a 400 x 400 page and draw it up, turn it into a brush, then shrink it down when painting them in.
    I have been looking for icons like those (pyramid in particular). Any chance you would share these? Are they already around here somewhere (looks under couch cushions....)

;-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I agree with Tear, might think about softening the shadows just a bit, otherwise cool stuff as always.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Love your icons, especially the little castle and tower. Your forest texture helps a lot with making them more visible but there are a few places where it goes over lakes and so looks odd.

This nitpick aside, the map looks wonderful. Great stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and personally I like the shadows being so bold.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll check those bumps in the lakes, thought I had masked that off. The shadows were ... just plain odd. I started by drawing the lil icon thingies, turning them into brushes and then adding shadows by hand but when I got to the town icons I had a whole bunch of shadow to do by hand...not gonna happen. So I started putting them into the initial drawing. I usually like my shadows at 50% opacity but with them being part of the whole brush I can't change them now. I guess I could go back over them with a low opacity eraser in areas where the terrain is light so they don't stand out so much.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I posted the icons that I made for this map in my brush thread here. Not as cool or as well-done as Ramah's but they served their purpose for what I needed.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Just for fun I thought that I'd post how this map started...a blend my Jasmine Coast map and my Aalder map. Lots of layers, colors, filters, and hand work later I ended up with the first image in the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elosha 1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	19111  

I have a question, btw your maps are beyond awesome, they make me *sigh* and think how much I suck... but back to my question ......

You started out with more of a google-ish photo looking map, but then you shifted to a more artsy looking.... did you have to completely re-skin the map, or is there a magic combination of settings to transform from google-ish to artsy?

I still have no idea how to make cool looking ground, so I use a pattern CoyoteMax shared, but its a bit too Google-ish... what do I do?
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123