Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by raddue View Post
    Alright, so for the life of me I cannot figure out how to properly get rivers to show up using this method. Even with switching my brush to 100% opacity, 100% flow, 3 pixels and 100% hardness and following all of the other instructions to the letter, they do not draw. What they are seemingly doing is filling in the water layers, even though I have the Land layer selected. What I mean is that it's doing is creating land bridges in water instead of rivers in land, if that makes sense. I have tried switching the colors around and nothing changes.

Help? I'm using CS6.
    It's been a while since I did this one, but I think the problem is that you are on the land layer. You need to be on the land layers layer mask. It sounds like you are stroking the land layer, which would add more land rather than stroking the layer mask, which would remove land. Try clicking on the layer mask and then stroke the path. I think that will fix your problem.

Man, this was awesome. I managed to replicate something similar, but I couldn't get a few of the steps to work just right, but I am satisfied with what came out. The predominant issue I ran into was that I was reworking an already existing map outline that I stole from a larger world map I made a long time ago, so I basically couldn't use the initial Clouds/Difference Clouds technique. I also just used the magic wand tool for the rivers instead of the pen tool. At any rate, thank you for such an awesome tutorial!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	averia.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	616.9 KB 
ID:	45685

Quote Originally Posted by Thesslian View Post
    It's been a while since I did this one, but I think the problem is that you are on the land layer. You need to be on the land layers layer mask. It sounds like you are stroking the land layer, which would add more land rather than stroking the layer mask, which would remove land. Try clicking on the layer mask and then stroke the path. I think that will fix your problem.
    Thank you for the super fast response!

Turns out I somehow skipped the step where you make the mask for the Land layer. After going back and putting it in and regrouping all of the layers above it it works perfectly. Thanks!

Done. I can't thank you enough for this tutorial; I've waited a long time for this!

The one most common critique I get is that the coastlines are too smooth. I'm rather ambivalent about it, but wonder if anyone has any ideas for roughing them up? I've tried a few low-level things that haven't really worked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deria Complete.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	46324  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Phae O' Brien's Avatar

This is definitely the best tutorial I've come across so far! Thank you so much for this!

I'm in the process of applying it to my own world's lineart and so far the results are simply amazing!!! I will be posting the results of it when the map is finished!

Guild Novice

For GIMP Users: The earlier link to a GIMP plugin implementing layer styles is broken. Here is a new link. I have not yet tried them out but intend to do so. Hopefully it will help us make use of this wonderful tutorial.

http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

Guild Novice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Randonia.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	46523

Well, not quite the style I set out to create. Using the GIMP layer style substitutes is a bit wonky - you need to do your painting and then apply them, but I got used to the process. I messed up a bit with the scale and stuff for the land, so the coast and land styles don't match up. Once I realized I had gone more or less off the tutorial, I decided to start experimenting and ended up with something that is serviceable if not nearly as beautiful as the Saderan style I set out to create.

Well, I'll keep trying. This first attempt was damn instructive, though. Thanks again for the tutorial, Tear! It's teaching me a lot.

That's a great tutorial indeed. Thank you for sharing it, Tear, but now that i have the landmasses ready, the mountains, rivers and everything i am not quite sure how to proceed. I am at the last step (placing the vegetation) but i have no idea how to make deserts. Could someone give me a tip or anything?

Hello, I just wanna know, how I can make that tutorial with photoshop CS3.
    Because I just have this version and I really want make a map for Dungeons Dragon for my world. Thanks for help!

Sorry for my english I am a begginer with this language

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Amae Mariendel View Post
    Hello, I just wanna know, how I can make that tutorial with photoshop CS3.
    Because I just have this version and I really want make a map for Dungeons Dragon for my world. Thanks for help!

Sorry for my english I am a begginer with this language
    I have photoshop 6 and this tutorial works great for my version. I suppose you will not have any problem with photoshop 3.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast