Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Made this bad boy last nigh, took me a while but i think its beautiful. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	59438

Brand new to both the forums and to Photoshop and just THANK YOU!

Absolutely stunning tutorial that even a complete novice (/idiot) like me could follow easily.

Thank you once again and now it's back to it for a second attempt.

Hey there,
    thanks for this amazing tutorial! It is so great to be able to learn how to make maps like that, thanks for taking the time and putting together this tutorial for others!
    I only have some difficulties with making my land look as big as it actually is and not like a small island, but I'll just try again.

Thank you for this great tutorial. I learned / started to dimly re-remember a lot about Photoshop. So much more to learn. Here's my first map, following closely to your tutorial. I love it. A great starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial-firstmap.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	61308

Quote Originally Posted by krellos View Post
    Hello, all! Newbie map-maker here. I am following the latest tutorial PDF and am stuck on p. 6. I can follow all the instructions about Pattern Overlay and Emboss, and my Layer Mask seems to be selected; but when I attempt to build up my coast shelves, nothing seems to be visible happening. And then the next instruction: Layer Mask: Paint White makes no sense to me! Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Having this same issue. I believe I have followed all the steps correctly but when I paint onto the layer mask absolutely nothing happens. Tried hiding the layer and mask to see if maybe it was just super subtle but there is no discernible effect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm1333 View Post
    Having this same issue. I believe I have followed all the steps correctly but when I paint onto the layer mask absolutely nothing happens. Tried hiding the layer and mask to see if maybe it was just super subtle but there is no discernible effect at all.
    I find that if I click and drag my paintbrush, very little seems to happen. However, if I put my brush in a spot and then click, or click repeatedly, I get a definite change in the appearance of the ocean. If you switch to a harder brush or higher opacity, you should see something happening (you can always undo if it's not subtle enough). Another thing you can do is to temporarily turn off the visibility of the other layers to make the changes to the ocean elevation mask more obvious.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

This tutorial helped me really to get things started. Everything is very clear, it also removed the dust off my PS knowledge. Thank you very much for this!

Edit: attached my first tryout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saderan_Tuturial_TryOut1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	61558  
    Last edited by Jaap Visser; 02-19-2014 at 07:55 AM.

First off, this is an awesome tutorial! Glad it is still alive and easy for us newbie cartographers to find! I'm in the process of building a game using Unity3D and have been drawing a blank in my world map designs until now. What I'm wondering is if anyone following this thread has ever had success converting your maps created with the tutorial to a heightmap to generate 3d terrain.

Thanks Tear for such an awesome, well-written guide!

This is great, tha`nk you

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Well, since I have been absent from mapping from a long time now, I felt a need to expand my horizons, so I gave this tut a quick try after dinner and ended up with this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isleofue.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	63228
    Its rather small (since I followed the tuts size recomendations, but I really like the style, and after I have experimented a bit more, I might even try to make a "real" map insted of just a quick try with it

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast