Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question

Newbie here, using GIMP. Thanks for the tutorial, very cool and very helpful!!

I was wondering if anybody who has successfully followed this tutorial without any issues was willing to load up a saved file that we GIMP users might be able to load into GIMP to see where the translations need to happen.

Here is my current project (in GIMP file format), and below is what it currently looks like (in case you're not able to load it in the .xcf format). As you can see, I'm missing something here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saderan_style.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	487.1 KB 
ID:	86025
    Last edited by themantheycallcris; 08-02-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Help

I cannot seem to get my mountains as smooth as the example pictures in the PDF no matter what I do. I've just dealt with it until now but no more. I tried my tablet and my mouse on various brushes and opacities, but they come out flat on the contour range of 50. If I set it lower, they don't look so hideous but then they do not resemble the example mountains at all. Example of the differences:

Contour @ 50 with various brushes and opacity
    Contour @ 0-5 with various brushes and opacity

Anyone know what could be wrong or what I'm doing wrong? I'd much rather have the smooth looking mountains than this. lol

Guild Apprentice

Praise

Hello. First time poster, some-time lurker and amateur map-maker. I'd just like to say that I've enjoyed the many excellent tutorials on this site. Spent quite some time going through several of them, trying to decipher their secrets! You are truly talented and the fact that you take the time to share your hard earned experiences with others (especially the less-than-expert ones of us) tells a lot about you. Thank you very much, I've learned a great deal while pulling my hair and trying to figure out why my maps don't resemble the sample pictures. At all. ;P

This tutorial in particular have been very informative, and while I'm still trying to figure out several kinks and flaws in how I apply it to the map I'm working on right now, it's definitely getting there - if slowly. So. Thank you again.

Default So happy to find this tutorial

I found a fantasy world map on DeviantArt that I loved and wanted to create similar maps. It was of course based on this tutorial, so I just went through and created a world of my own:

Name:	Test 2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	89676

The only difficulty I had was with the rivers (getting them to stroke nicely was quite fiddly). And the Bevel & Emboss settings. The ones from the tutorial seem quite aggressive?

Anyway - what do you think?

Very good Tear

Quote Originally Posted by themantheycallcris View Post
    Newbie here, using GIMP. Thanks for the tutorial, very cool and very helpful!!

I was wondering if anybody who has successfully followed this tutorial without any issues was willing to load up a saved file that we GIMP users might be able to load into GIMP to see where the translations need to happen.

Here is my current project (in GIMP file format), and below is what it currently looks like (in case you're not able to load it in the .xcf format). As you can see, I'm missing something here:

Name:	Saderan_style.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	487.1 KB 
ID:	86025
    I did this map using the Saderan Tutorial with GIMP, but I have not made an effort to write down all the approximate translation steps I had to use.

Hi Tear. Awesome tutorial, particularly for those of us who are, shall we say, artistically challenged? Repped and rated.

I've posted a WIP in this thread. Not quite finished the ocean steps yet, just have to do the elevations and then I'll start on the land.

Cheers and thanks for the work you did putting this together!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Name:	volcano.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	93774

Found a map created using this tut, and has this rather nice volcanoes and a large caldera(?)

A very cropped image included here.

Any tips on how to create such a thing ?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanxs alot Tear, I have used your tutorial several times these last days and I find it realy helpfull.

As a rookie it was realy helpfull the way you describe the process step by step. This is the latest of my creations. Once again, thanxs mate.

Name:	DoD World.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	705.1 KB 
ID:	96056

Thanks a lot master Tear. I've learned... a lot from your guide.
    And after a few months of practice i dare say i feel pretty good about what i can now do.
    It took me the most time to get the mountains right, i found that using the same brush you recommend when drawing forests to be helpful in making them look more like mountains then long pyramids of stone.

Name:	cuXX9FP.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	4.78 MB 
ID:	96418

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast