Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Exceptional tutorial!

Thanks.

My first run through was painless, not to mention I learned techniques that I can apply elsewhere.

A GIMP version would be nice.

Quick question:
    Can I use a premade shape as my continent instead of generating a random one?

1. Create the alpha channel using my original shape which looks like the "copy merged" pic in the tut (white land mass on black background).
    2. Create the land mass layer by stripping away the black background leaving only the white land mass.
    3. Create the layer background by rendering clouds.

The only issue I have is the paint layer, which I have no clue how to generate for a shape that is already made. It seems like that step if used to create a random map.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by redleg7; 01-17-2010 at 06:49 AM.

I'm a bit stuck/confused. On the bottom of page 5, it calls to add a new layer and name it "ocean elevation". Am I still using the Alpha 1 selection with the expand and feathered? Or am I using the entire layer? From the pic on page 6 it looks like the entire layer, but the layer mask is colored black and nowhere does it say to fill the layer mask. I'm probably misreading, or missing something, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BernieB; 01-17-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Answered my own question. Fill the layer mask with black and all is well.

Tanks everyone.

@redleg7: If you use your own land shape I'd recommend selecting the cloud pattern on the background layer and using Image > Adjustments > Levels... and set the Output Levels to 0/128 to start out with. The "paint layer" itself is entirely hand painted in this tutorial. Just paint with a low-opacity soft black brush in the deeper ocean areas until the deepest parts are completely black. You can also use a low-opacity soft white brush to lighten up some coastal areas. As long as you try to keep a balance between not looking too random and not too uniform you should be good to go.

I had to have a go at this...here's my result (different textures used).

I couldn't quite get the same definition on the ocean floor though.

Thanks Tear, really good tutorial.

My quick comments: I used a brush that has lots of bits sticking out of it and set it to a reasonable scatter when painting the mountains.
    Using the 'ocean ripple filter' on mountains also helps to break them up a bit and make foothills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tear tut.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	20391  

I have only limited experience with Photoshop, and very little experience with making maps, but here is my attempt. I followed the tutorial almost completely to the letter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saderan_Tutorial.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	20396  
    Last edited by Grimmr; 01-17-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...

Love this tutorial!!! Starting on my second map using it tonight. Quick question though.....On page 3 you resize the image. Is this just a personal preference or is there a reason (other than file size) to resize it?

It smoothes the coast outlines generated by the threshold layer. You can skip the resizing, but your coastlines will be more pixellated.
    If you want a bigger map, say, 1000 pixels wide, just start with 2000 pixels to make sure your outlines will be nice and smooth in the end.

That makes sense. Thanks Tear

What are the GIMP commands for the following:

Create Clipping Mask/Group with Previous

I know they are the same thing in PS depending on which version your using. I looked at the online gimp doc but have no idea how to do a search.

Edit:

When applying a mask in PS you have the choice of Reveal All/Hide All or Reveal Selection/Hide Selection.

How is this implemented in GIMP? Or does it matter.

TIA
    Last edited by redleg7; 01-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast