Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

My first experiments with climate haven't been too successful...but that's ok. I refined experiments with altitudes/textures coming out of FT Pro and being fed into the layer masks for elevation/hills/mountains/peaks/ice. Here's where I'm at so far. Everything (except the one experiment with forests) is based on exports (repeatable for any map made there) from FT Pro and with changes only made using in-photoshop menu commands (repeatable).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-retry..png 
Views:	530 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	22753

Thanks again for sharing this excellent (and educational) tutorial.

That's a very beautiful style, specially the ocean.
    I'm not dead yet! I am just facing some unusual, painful lack of time. *sigh* Why didn't I was born rich?

I played more with the default layers setup by Tear's excellent tutorial. I concentrated on the mountain ranges specifically.

In adjusting the bevel/emboss settings, I adjusted SIZE and DEPTH for the hills, mountains, and peaks layers, increasing those two settings for most layers, in some cases maxing them out. I also adjusted the levels on the layer masks to accentuate the shadows, midtones, and highlights of the layer masks themselves on each of those layers AND the ice layer. This allowed me to use the same starting height map (blurred to taste) for each - essentially a straight gray-scale output from FT Pro (as everything in the map is so far).

Next step for the mountain side of things - starting to add in a bit more irregularity to the mountain ranges using brushes (I like dual brushes with a lot of randomness in opacity, orientation, size, etc)... if anyone has suggestions that way...let me know

Tear - thanks again for a great tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-retry-moun&#116.png 
Views:	379 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	22775  

Map Awesome Tutorial

Hi All,

This is my first post--found this site a few days ago and I am totally hooked. I love maps and know a fair bit about using PS, though mostly for photo retouching, basic graphic design, and pixel art, never anything as complex as a composite map from scratch.

I actually stumbled across the Cartographer's Guild while looking for ways to draw a world map for my SRPG (Olithum), which will eventually need one.

I plan on practicing this art for quite some time, and trying out lots more tutorials to hopefully come up with my own style. I tried out this particular tutorial just to learn some techniques; my results are far from perfect and there isn't really much unique about the map, since I didn't want to spend too much time fiddling with any one component, but I thought I'd post it for others to see anyway. I followed the tutorial pretty closely and it took about 4 hours to complete.

Very, very nice work on the tutorial! Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saderan_test..png 
Views:	393 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	23789

very nice, BIG THANKS!

My first try (3 hours!)

The black lines should be borders. Now i have to think about how to paint cities and text...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landkarte_campaign.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	25954  

My first try...what a great tutorial!

My next try will be to improve upon the mountain ranges like guyanonymous has done, it really makes the map look great like Saderan.

Tear, thanks for the tut. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to soon.

My suggestion would be flesh out your tutorial a bit with a few more examples, publish it as an ebook on amazon, and make some money off of it.

Incredibly new guy (to photoshop and map making). I'm desperately trying to make it work... but I just cannot do it. I get to Stage 3 - the creation of land. I start creating the various layers then we get to "paint white" to create different elevations. No matter WHAT I do it doesn't change.

Ever.

Ever.

Same for the technique of making mountains. I can't seem to ever create any kind of elevation. If someone has some idea of what's going wrong, can you please, please, help me.

ugh, for the part where it says create new threshold layer, i, for some reason can't...
    do you know why?
    if you do, please reply me...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It should be right there at the top of the screen next to File, Edit, Image, "Layer" - click on that and scroll down the list to "New Adjustment Layer" then scroll down to "Threshold". If you can't do that then make sure that you're Mode is the right thing - ie Click on Image, scroll down to Mode then scroll down the list...make it RGB 8 bits.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-22-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast