Thread: Milestones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You are probably right, I tend to go big and end up with less

This would work for you because you are the designer of that section of map but what of others who might play in the Strand? Might they be doing things just the opposite of what you are? Then we would have two different histories. Regular old adventuring would be fine as stories for the backdrop of the map but anything that really shakes things up needs to be controlled or we will have a mess. For instance, kings being overthrown and major political events that contradict one another. At the very least I would think they need to pass "histories" on through you. Some will help some will hinder. Keep the former, chuck the later. I suppose you could toss adventure seeds out there for other gamers to use as a basis for their games and that would probably help keep things in line.

Is building more histories what is meant by making this into a living world or are we wanting more maps showing changes to cities/towns/regions?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

We talked about this sometime back and I proposed that we all chuck stuff onto a temporary page of things going on and it gets arbitrated down. In a sense the GM does not have that overall mastery of the "official" copy of the world, just his own games version. I think I could spend ages on how we could mitigate it all etc but since we only have one big yellow star on the whole map after a few years, I am rather inclined to wait until this campaign contention is a real problem before we worry about how we can solve it.

We need more people playing in the world first !

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    We talked about this sometime back and I proposed that we all chuck stuff onto a temporary page of things going on and it gets arbitrated down. In a sense the GM does not have that overall mastery of the "official" copy of the world, just his own games version. I think I could spend ages on how we could mitigate it all etc but since we only have one big yellow star on the whole map after a few years, I am rather inclined to wait until this campaign contention is a real problem before we worry about how we can solve it.

We need more people playing in the world first !
    Which may be sooner than we thought, considering the dire state of things in Hania now. Talk about round 1 going to the bad guys!

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    You are probably right, I tend to go big and end up with less

This would work for you because you are the designer of that section of map but what of others who might play in the Strand? Might they be doing things just the opposite of what you are? Then we would have two different histories. Regular old adventuring would be fine as stories for the backdrop of the map but anything that really shakes things up needs to be controlled or we will have a mess. For instance, kings being overthrown and major political events that contradict one another. At the very least I would think they need to pass "histories" on through you. Some will help some will hinder. Keep the former, chuck the later. I suppose you could toss adventure seeds out there for other gamers to use as a basis for their games and that would probably help keep things in line.

Is building more histories what is meant by making this into a living world or are we wanting more maps showing changes to cities/towns/regions?
    I understand what you're saying there, but I think it's something that could be solved as easily as assigning a small (2-3) panel of judges to the project. Simply, adventures would have to be submitted and then approved before becoming canon. If you've ever looked at any of the Living Worlds over at EN World, that's about how they do it, though maybe slightly more overcomplicated.

Regardless, Redrobes is correct in that there should be more people making their impact on the world before any of it is a real issue.