Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
If you want to distinguish between the various town sizes you might want to add some more varied symbols for that...I see a horned thing, a boat, and a bunch of 2-hut things. Maybe add a 3-hutter and a one-hutter then you'd have 3 sizes...city, town, and village. Overall, I'd say it is not overloaded at all but maybe that comes from years of looking at hex maps So far so good.
The settlements will have different symbols (one hut for thorps, two huts for hamlets, 3 huts for villages), but that should come in a later stage of this map. Cities are few (in this section, only the boat is a city--a port city in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
If you are planning on sending this out into the world as part of an adventure setting, I might suggest a more unified colour theme for the hills and such, maybe something not quite so dominating for the encounter areas, little things like that - but to me that's a personal preference thing. If it's for others, i would definitely add a scale marker, and perhaps a compass, and especially a legend to explain some of the symbols.
A scale marker and a legend will surely be included. This is just a rough first draft to see how the things will become. I'm not sure about what you could suggest about the colour theme, but I will think about it.

My main concern is: is this detailed section a good reference of the bigger scale section (remember we are talking about 500% zoom here)? Did I place the forests and hills in accordance of what should be expected from a region like that (where plains should be the main terrain)?

The detailed map resulted from some random placements based on what I thought it could belong to the map.

For example, there are 60% chance of plains, 5% chance of ponds/lakes, 5% chance of light forests, 7.5% chance of forested hills and so on. Did my placement by random chance did any good/bad to the map?