Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice castle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

It's looking great so far. I have no idea what the internal layout of a castle like this would be but who cares? As long as it follows its own internal logic it doesn't have to be historically accurate.

I keep seeing these top down maps on here and it's really making me want to try my hand at one.

Damn you. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's what I'm here for, heh heh We got tons of land maps but we need to work on other areas or else we'll become cliche and useless. So if I, or others feel the need to learn and experiment along with me...then great Maybe one of us will put together a good tut to help folks out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension,

Great looking map. The only question I have is it a moat and baily type casle. If so, on your overhead view, I would show it as a steep include hill where the actual castle is.

Just an idea.

Great details by the way
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You are, of course, certifiably insane.

I'm all out of unique compliments today, so I'll leave it as just "omg wow".

Keep up the good work

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

It's looking wonderful. It might be taking you some time but it's not wasted.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great stuff here Ascension, though I'll disagree with you and say cities are still much harder.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's an awesome map, love the way you did the plants/trees. These must be very good tricks indeed to achieve that without any pre-fab objects but only patterns/fills/glows!

Here's how to do the trees, pretty simple:

1. Using white as the color and a 9-pixel hard round pencil, increase the spacing to 100%, increase the scatter, make a click. What we're looking for here is something like a child's drawing of a cloud. If it doesn't either increase the scatter, the count, or add a few more clicks.

2. Fill a layer with black and move it below the white layer. Click on the white layer and merge down. Filter - brush strokes - spatter = use any setting that you like. This basically roughs up the edges. If it's too rough then hit Filter - noise - median = 2.

3. Select - color range = black with a fuzziness of 200. Hit the delete key and deselect. Add a pattern overlay, color overlay of green, inner glow of black or brown, inner shadow (set the light source to be opposite of the global light source), drop shadow (make the distance large to enhance a "floating" feel), and a textured bevel (I used the defaults "spikey bush" for pattern and "clouds" for texture).

4. New layer, do up clouds, and a bunch of difference clouds. Gradient map a yellow to green gradient, set blend to soft light, and reduce opacity until happy, then mask to fit the tree shape.

5. New layer fill with 400% noise, blur it by 2, set to soft light, lower opacity, and mask it off to fit the tree shape. You can also gradient map colors to this to add some random color spots, I use browns and ochres.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here's where I'm at right now. Put in some basic rooms (tables, beds, etc) for the staff. Put in a bunch of lights for torches and fireplaces. Toilets have me all messed up so I might have to take out a room here n there for the upper level toilets. Either I'm going to have a lot of empty rooms or else I need to come up with some ideas as to what to put in them or knock down some walls. Since this is the first floor, where mostly staff live and work, I don't want music rooms or studies all over the place...I'm thinking mainly parlour rooms, shrug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	19243  

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's where I'm at right now. Put in some basic rooms (tables, beds, etc) for the staff. Put in a bunch of lights for torches and fireplaces. Toilets have me all messed up so I might have to take out a room here n there for the upper level toilets. Either I'm going to have a lot of empty rooms or else I need to come up with some ideas as to what to put in them or knock down some walls. Since this is the first floor, where mostly staff live and work, I don't want music rooms or studies all over the place...I'm thinking mainly parlour rooms, shrug.
    Is the idea to have running water(or magic)? If not, then have all the garter robes against the outside wall and inset into the building with a 1-2 foot cavity between the room wall and the outer wall. This provides plenty of space for the upper chutes and allows for a single outlet per set of rooms.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast