Thread: Practice castle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking good. There's some funny shadowing around the paved approach to the southern drawbridge. Otherwise very nice. And I know what you mean about pixel perfect features - it's a killer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That circle drive and shadow screw-up are on my list of things to do near the end...thanks guys. I'm thinking that I'll dump the whole grass and curtain wall so that I can work more on the castle/manor itself in greater detail. Live and learn, eh? I'll probably upload the patterns and layer styles at the end as well, just remind me if I forget.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

It's looking great so far. I have no idea what the internal layout of a castle like this would be but who cares? As long as it follows its own internal logic it doesn't have to be historically accurate.

I keep seeing these top down maps on here and it's really making me want to try my hand at one.

Damn you. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

That's what I'm here for, heh heh We got tons of land maps but we need to work on other areas or else we'll become cliche and useless. So if I, or others feel the need to learn and experiment along with me...then great Maybe one of us will put together a good tut to help folks out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I cut out the junk to focus on the building and that really helped. Mostly fiddled with colors and tweaking places that were not connected, missing, wrong, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	19082  

great map. I like the stone floor, the carpets and the stairwells very much. My only suggestion is to scale down the wooden parts of the floor, cause to me it looks like the floor was made of large boards (but maybe thats only me).

Yeah, I've been questioning that myself.

Ascension,

Great looking map. The only question I have is it a moat and baily type casle. If so, on your overhead view, I would show it as a steep include hill where the actual castle is.

Just an idea.

Great details by the way
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.