Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Torentine Empire: my li'l corner of a fictional world

Absolutely beautiful.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Post Finished!

Personally I like the satellite view with the clouds - very cool looking imo.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Praise Great work!

To see that all your images have been viewed so sparsely is preposterous! In light of that I hope my small bit of appreciation for your effort helps get across how truly remarkable your work it.

Map Still WIP: Starting on the PHYSICAL MAP...

Here (light map) is the color scheme.. subject to change of course.. for the physical map page of my Torentine atlas.. the darker one is just for kicks. I tested out some small text on the lighter map and it's pretty good except for the high contrast areas in the mountains .. i may have to tone that down or use some outer glow effects.. i didn't want to lose too much texture. I toyed around with the seafloor until i got something i like.. merging a fractal terrains file with my own 3d version created via "Making maps in Photoshop" tutorial by jezelf.

Please comment on the colors as i have a little trouble gauging hues sometimes.. i am mainly wondering about the deciduous forests.. are they too brownish or not at all.. are my eyes are playing tricks? I think it looks best at 50% size because it gives the illusion of minute detail... when i look at it full size i start to obsess about adding sharpness or tiny details that would probably just make it too busy for the purpose of an atlas page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pseudo-Satellite_Preview.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	19496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_color_scheme_topo.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	19503  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-15-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Well I'm just a noob so take that into consideration if you listen to anything I say.

First, you do have a beautiful map here.

To me I think the lighter one might be a bit too light. I'm thinking if the water is that clear you probably need to show reefs and rocks beneath it. Like what I saw when I was on Moorea in Tahiti years ago and you could look down for 50 feet and it seemed right below the surface. (double click the map here and drill down along the shoreline to see what I mean.) Your underwater textures seem as clear as the land areas. Perhaps if you selected the water and did a Gaussian blur so the water wasn't quiet so perfectly clear it would help. Then again maybe you want the underwater detail? Maybe just darkening it a bit more would do the trick as well.

I'm sure you will get better thoughts from some of the legends around here but that's the only thing I can come up with.

Definately a nice looking map.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Help Need an opinion on color schemes

Just from a color scheme perspective.. not the details or color transitions.. which one of these "feels" more realistic to you? LEFT or RIGHT or the darker (left) one in my previous post?

Just the land colors, the ocean will be the next part of the project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat_colors_lighter.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	19591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat_colors_deep_greens.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	19592  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-17-2009 at 12:03 AM.

I know people are going to disagree with me but I think the one on the right is the more realistic one. Although this may be partly because i prefer greener maps.

Nice work.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As they stand right now the right one. The one on the left has some funky green around the mountains and if that was tweaked then I'd go left one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think the one on the right as well because it has more even dispersal of the colors. I like the coloring on the left one more but it has patches of different color that don't seem as realistic.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast