Thread: Torentine Empire: my li'l corner of a fictional world

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Satellite Pic to Bump-map translation

I was somewhat perplexed at how i was going to simulate the terrain for my upcoming topography map since i now had a visual of the torentine landscape to match. I was trying to see if i could just overlay the satellite image or something but that wasn't going to work.

A bump map was what i needed but i wasn't about to go cutting and pasting bump map info from NOAA for the various places i used in the satellite image. I had to make a bump map.... UGH, I thought.. HOW can i cheat this? Well... i was able to actually use some of the information from the satellite collage but i had to do a lot of manipulation in order to get it to translate. Basically I just posterized a black and white version of the sat. image and used the magic wand tool for placement of land features. The "convenience" ended there.

After a bit of manipulating I was able to get a decent result so now i've got an official topography of the Torentine landscape to reference which will come in handy. I am going to go in and retouch this so it's nice and smooth before i colorize it for the atlas Topography page but i wanted to post it in the mean time. This also shows the updated river system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOPO_BUMP_MAP_SIDEBYSIDE.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	19890  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-31-2009 at 05:01 AM.